4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

New Rules
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
JointComms
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2002 10:28 am (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Quote:
You may not use your signature to actively solicit members for your site

I guess the key word here is actively. I originally found this board thru the signature file of one of the Mods and been visiting since. Although I do notice something did happen after I said a particular thread should be deleted and people should get along.

Someone always came to my assistance every time I made a request in the past but NOT since the above. So what's the use of coming here now. Evil or Very Mad

JC
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JointCommsSend Personal MessageSend email
John R
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:38 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Are you saying then that we cant have our own sites in our sigs then. Evil or Very Mad

Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 5:45 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think there's been a few things happen over the last month or so such, as the Cyberwings thing, that have made for a bit of a strange atmosphere on 4WH.

I certainly don't think you suggesting that people 'get along' would mean your threads wouldn't get answered. I think its just been a bit quite in terms of visitors. It always gets a bit quiet when Daniel goes away as he does tend to drive the conversation.

Personally, I haven't seen a thread recently which I have any knowledge about, so haven't really had anything to offer.

I've certainly benefitted from the shared knowledge here in the past, and hope I've also contributed to it in some way. So I do hope we can get back to the good times, and that you do decide to continue visiting. Very Happy
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
JointComms
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 6:27 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Darren, I intend on sticking around unless you, Peter and the rest decide outherwise. I guess I was in one of those moods coz I am looking for help and can't seem to find an answer.

And yes I agree things have been a little strange since CW went bye bye. How true, in Daniel's absence things have quited down - are we saying he NEEDED that holiday - lol.

The question also remains, we can't put our own site in the sig?!!!!!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JointCommsSend Personal MessageSend email
Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:28 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

John R wrote:
Are you saying then that we cant have our own sites in our sigs then. Evil or Very Mad

Not at all - just like Andrew (aka Kinetic/WWWman/-Andrew-) you cannot try and draw members away from this site to build up a team for another site. As (JointComms?) said, the difference is in the word "Active" - a normal link is passive and fine, a message saying something like "Come to my site and join a team to make a rival for 4WH because I've fallen out with the team" is not. That is the distinction.

Peter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:39 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

So that means you can say

Cool Site: Kinetic's Website

but not

Kinetic's Cool Website Now Recruiting Staff

Simple really Very Happy
OfflineFind all posts by Anonymous
Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 7:44 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Exactly Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2002 10:38 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It boggles the mind as to why anyone would think to trust complete, faceless strangers to act honorably about post editing, given that honor seems to be an anachronism in today's world.

Clearly, it is reasonable that 4WH reserve the right to lock, move or delete a post. But allow a stranger to edit one's words? Well, that's simply foolish.

If 4WH were to modify the editing portion of "The Rules", there'd be more avid forum participants, myself included. Until then, things may stay a little quiet except of course for the occasional noise of the inner most clique.
Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 6:46 am (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If we didn't have this clause, what could we do about broken images in a post, for example?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 7:54 am (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well that is OK, because it is not altering the thing the person is saying.
JointComms
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 10:27 am (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

JointComms is JC now back on subject.

Any Editor has and should have the right to Edit. Unless I'm mistaken each time a post is editied there's an entry at the bottom of that post indicating when and who edited the post.

Imagine if you were an employer and one of your employees came into YOUR building and offices and started to distribute leaflets openly and Actively recruiting YOUR employees. You would consider that UNFAIR PRACTICE NON!!!

I do wish Kinetic good luck in his/their endevours thou.

Now then, back in my Marketing studies they thought us that a controversy is the best Marketing tool you could have - it's all Free Advertising.

I've stirred the pot now I'm outta here - see ya at http://www.jc's-hell.com (join my growing list of customers)
Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 5:58 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

JC: this brings up an interesting point about our "Edit" clause. There is a misspelling in your post that makes it difficult to understand (because it nearly makes sense) so should I, in the role of editor/admin, amend your post so that the spelling is correct?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 9:50 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If 4WH wishes to reserve the right to edit a post, then it would behoove this site to clearly articulate under what conditions a post might be altered. Certainly, a borken image, typos and grammar errors can be annoying. But if 4WH has the unrestricted right to edit posts, then what is to inhibit a malicious moderator from content tampering and thereby change the original to something that the author would never have written? Until firm guildelines are developed and enforced, I remain unconvinced about putting trust in the good judgement of 4WH as regards editing.
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:58 am (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

mouse wrote:
If 4WH iwishes to reserve the right to edit a post, then it would behoove this site to clearly articulate under what conditions a post might be altered. Certainly, a borken image, typos and grammar errors can be annoying. But if 4WH has the unrestricted right to edit posts, then what is to inhibit a malicious moderator from content tampering and thereby change the original to something that the author would never have written? Until firm guildelines are developed and enforced, I remain unconvinced about putting trust in the good judgement of 4WH as regards editing.

See, there is a limit to everything, making silly posts once in a way are generally left as is, but what if a person posts 3-4 silly messages daily.
As for editing by a malicious moderator, the thing will soon be in place, probably next month, when I have 4-5 continuous holidays.

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
JointComms
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 11:48 am (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Peter, if an Editor wishes to correct the spelling of a word, in the print media s/he would insert the word (sic) and leave it at that.

If a poster wishes to make silly posts a moderator, out of courtesy, should request the poster to change it. If s/he or he refuses (including ignoring the moderator) then the moderator has the right to go into that post make any changes required AND note it at the bottom with an Editor's/Moderator's Note. That is afterall what a Moderator is for. Don't mistake moderator with Administrator.

Finally, we come here to learn, share and generally say what we feel but that does not give any of us a right (including the Mod) to abuse the system. Would we go into a buddy's home and create havoc just because we have a nice host? NON!

We have to put some kind of trust in the mods of the Forums if they abuse of that trust we refer to the Administrator. If they do nothing there's nothing tying us down to remain here. The door is at the top right hand side of the screen marked with a Image

Those are my thoughts but as a last point - a Forum is a meeting place and if we went to a meeting and became a disturbing influence then the Chair would ask as to leave NON! What's so different here?!!

JC
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next