4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Threats by Email
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:59 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Quote:

Well, as "****", "****" and "****" etc, are now clearly in polite
usage (as they are allowed to be used on the telly!) I hardly think that my
swearing is going to worry anyone, do you? What are you going to do? Sue me?
Get real! And if you are going to get involved with a self-promoting,
arrogant, thick skinned little **** like Justin, I'm afraid you are going
to get have to get used to this, and worse, from a large number of the itfc
supporting database. Simply because he is hated by most. If you are such a
sensitive little flower, you are in the wrong job.

And, Rachel, nowhere here have I threatened anyone. However, I would very
much like to come round to Inkerman Road and wring the neck of the little
tosser that is Justin.

One of my website team has just recieved this email, I was wondering what kind of action you take for these type of threats etc, what people would I contact to make a complaint about the induvidual, as this is not the first time I have recieved threats such as this- this is a pretty mild one to be honest.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:47 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Not sure really, luckily I have never had to deal with anything like this. Our Fancy Rat message board just doesn't seem to attract this kind of person - touch wood.

Firstly I can't understand why people visit sites that they don't like or don't agree with and secondly why they think they can abuse the people that run them, 9 times out of 10 as a hobby or interest.

If it was just a one off I would try to ignore it, as by responding to it will simply show the person they are getting a reaction and encourage them to do it more.

If they persist, I guess their ISP is a good place to start.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 5:09 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah, they've done it many times now.......

I emailed Hotmail abuse, because it comes from a Hotmail Account, and look what **** I got back :

Quote:

<p>This is an auto-generated response designed to answer your question as quickly as possible. Please note that you will not receive a reply if you respond directly to this message.
<p>
<p>Unfortunately, we cannot take action on the mail you sent us because it does not reference a Hotmail account. Please send us another message that contains the full Hotmail e-mail address and the full e-mail message to:
<p> abuse@hotmail.com
<p>
<p>>>> To forward mail with full headers
<p>
<p>Using Hotmail:
<p>1. Click "Options" to the right of the "Contacts" tab. The "Options" page appears.
<p>2. Under "Additional Options", click "Mail Display Settings". The "Mail Display Settings" page appears.
<p>3. Under "Message Headers", select "Full" and click "OK".
<p>4. Forward the resulting mail to:
<p> abuse@hotmail.com
<p>
<p>Using MSN Explorer:
<p>1. Open the message, and then click "More" in the upper right corner.
<p>2. Click "Message Source". The message opens in a new window with all the header information visible.
<p>3. Copy all the text and paste it into a new message. Send this message to:
<p> abuse@msn.com
<p>
<p>Using Outlook Express or Outlook:
<p>1. On the unopened mail, place your cursor over the mail, right-click, and click "Options".
<p>2. Under "Internet headers", copy the contents of the full header.
<p>3. Open the e-mail in question and forward a complete copy of the message, including the full message header you copied at the beginning of your message, to:
<p> abuse@hotmail.com
<p>
<p>If you're not a Hotmail member, consult the Help associated with your e-mail program to determine how to view complete header information. Then forward the message to:
<p> abuse@hotmail.com
<p>
<p>If the unsolicited junk e-mail or "spam" comes from a non-Hotmail account, you can send a complaint to the service provider that sent the mail. Make sure that you include full headers when you send your complaint.
<p>
<p>In the full header, look at the last "Received" notation to locate what .com domain it came from. It looks something like:
<p> [service provider domain name].com
<p>
<p>Forward a complete copy of the message, including the full message header, to:
<p> abuse@[service provider domain name].com
<p>
<p>If the domain does not have an abuse service, forward your complaint to:
<p> webmaster@[service provider domain name].com
<p>
<p>All Hotmail customers have agreed to MSN Website Terms of Use and Notices(TOU) that forbid e-mail abuse. At the bottom of any page in Hotmail, click "Terms of Use" to view the Terms of Use document in its entirety.
<p>
<p>Thank you for helping us enforce our TOU.
<p>
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:06 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Its all too easy to be anonymous with Hotmail!

And if MS do ever get around to shutting down the account, they can quite easily register a new address.

You said some of the previous emails were worse. If they are of a threatening nature I suppose you could at least ask advice from the police but I can't imagine them having much power to do anything.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:24 am (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

ignore it?

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:45 am (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ben wrote:
ignore it?

Yeah, but it's not just me getting the abuse, we've had to take ridcolous lengths on our forums and cancel about 10 members accounts for stalking :

Quote:

Hiya Guys,

From what I have been hearing tonight, people have been using these forums to target certain members of abuse, and to advertise their services / web sites, and use the forums and members profiles in an order to get work / advertise their service.

The points I wish to make are the following :

1) BluesWeb.co.uk is an Ipswich Town Website which we offer services on to the fans, at no benefit or profit for us, it would be foolish of us to allow our competitiors to use these forums to entice staff, or for staff to approach other webmasters who visit these forums, in order to get places on other website teams.

2) BluesWeb.co.uk is a website that should be suitable for all ages, granted their is a little bit of bad language, but only when it is appropriate, for songs etc. Public Slagging off, and Public abuse will not be tolerated in any shape or form here. If you continue to do it appropriate action will have to be taken.

3) Public Stalking will also not be tolerated on thse forums, stalking someone using information on these forums is highly illegal and if we feel the need to do so, we will not hesitate to get third parties, such as your internet service provider, telecoms companies, or the police to resolve serious issues.

Any of the above is unacceptable to me and violates the service agreement that you agreed to when you signed up to our forums, if members continue to carry out this kind of behaviour, we shall have no other alternative but to terminate your account at these forums, and report you to your ISP for your abuse of this service.

As a precaution, all MSN/AOL/YAHOO/ICQ Instant messaging details from members profiles have now been removed due to we feel it is in the best intrests of all users that people feel safe from such stalkers while browsing our website. If you would like to contact a member, please use the forums private messaging system.

I will be working tommorow with my fellow staff, and the leader of this website, Justin Johnson to come up with a swift resolution to this problem, and to come up with a document listing the new terms of using these forums, and will publish them when complete.

If you have any concerns about the above points that have been raised, or wish to report further stalking or abuse, please Private Message one of the team, or email us at webteam@bluesweb.co.uk.

I thank you for your patience during this time.
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: