4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Downtime and Missing Posts from Wednesday, July 24th
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 1:27 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yesterday was the first time I was able to access this site for almost a week, and there was only one thread that alluded to that. I sort of guessed that it was due to CW losing their servers in Texas, but ... guess I'm out of the loop here.

Also, I made at least half a dozen posts here yesterday, all of which are now gone ... including a new thread I started. And at least a half dozen posts are also missing from Andrew's '4WH Downtime' thread. The only explanation I see in the new threads left here today is this one in amadeus's 'flamed by facism' post:
Andrew wrote:
No moderators deleted anything, it is because an old back up was used when changing to the new host.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 7:34 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Please don't make assumptions. The posts were on the RS server, and we are now on the 34SP server.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:13 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Please don't make assumptions. The posts were on the RS server, and we are now on the 34SP server.
What do you mean, Daniel? Was I wrong about CW losing their RS servers? Isn't that why you were down? Those were the only assumptions I made.

Don't you think it's sort of strange to come here after the site's been down for a week with no explanations posted about that? And to have made half a dozen new posts, and to come back the following day and see that they're all gone, again with no other clues about what's going on (besides the one I mentioned)?

Thanks for your reply, Andrew.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:35 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just found this post by Daniel in another thread:
Daniel wrote:
I'm leaving on holiday now, but I want everyone to know that nothing was deleted. I said "don't post anything here because it will be lost". Feel free to repost it here.
Daniel, I wanted to let you know that your warning must've been deleted or misposted somehow, as I saw nothing like it on this site in the last two days, and I checked all the new posts that weren't about PHP each time I came in here.

Some of the moderators that aren't on holiday might want to take note of this also, as I think it could very likely have contributed to some of the confusion I see expressed in the locked thread called "total facism, that's what's inherent here".
http://www.4webhelp.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5698#5698

Also, Andrew, where were these warnings you're talking about in that thread?
Andrew wrote:
You were warned numerous times by Daniel that posts were going to disappear.
and
Andrew wrote:
He posted warnings on the topics.

Sorry to sound like I'm disputing you, Andrew, but I'd have to back amadeus up here when he says
amadeus wrote:
I didn't see the warning..... probably because of time zones I guess!
because, as I said above, I didn't see anything of the kind on this site in the last two days...although I'd doubt that the reason was because of time zones.

My own guess right now would be it might've had something to do with DNS propagating for the new 4WH server location.

verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:54 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Andrew wrote:
His warnings were on the threads that got deleted. The warnings said that the posts would disappear when we changed servers... which they did, and so did the warnings.
so threads got deleted two days in a row? Question

I didn't see them yesterday or the day before, so they must've been deleted on Tuesday or very early Wednesday, unless it was some other reason.

verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 6:24 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Andrew wrote:
... It wasn't by the moderators, so can we put an end to this and continue with what we should do!

Andrew, I think you both you and Daniel missed the point of my thread here, as I wasn't suggesting that any posts were deleted by the moderators...
My point was meant to question the lack of explanations or posts about the downtime, etc., and had a similar spirit to the thread you posted at http://www.4webhelp.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=908

Andrew wrote:
I take it that CW were having more "problems". Lets hope they are sorted now.
I think we could do with a 4WH mailing-list, so that when things like this happen people can be kept upto date.

I think I can see why you and Daniel might be feeling a bit defensive when you get a post like amadeus's 'fascism' one, but I'd ask that you don't misunderstand me here. Smile

I also still think the mailing list might be a good idea, as i replied in your thread:
verto wrote:
Sounds like a good idea to me, Andrew -- every time I come here the last week or more, it's a big guessing game to figure out what's going on. Question

It also might make sense to put up a post in the "Announcements" forum or the "Latest News" section on the home page. The only thing recent there right now's a blurb for amdaeus's new tutorial. Anyway, that's just a suggestion. Cool

Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:15 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Please read http://www.4webhelp.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=5716

I would have made it a global announcement, but I cannot work out how to do this Smile

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:12 am (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thank you for your posts, Peter.

btw, have any of you tried that PHP forum site amadeus said that he'd posted about? (www.phptalk.com) Is it worth a visit? I just tried it now for the first time, but it seems to be down (hope they're not on CW).

I keep tellin' myself I'm going to start learning PHP 'real soon now' (even have a couple of books on it lying on my bed), but .... Embarassed

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: