4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

4WebHelp More Stable than CW?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:33 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
At this time, Plesk 2 is VERY stable, so we're not thinking of changing host.
the mysterious thing is that CW keeps 4WebHelp stable while their own site's a (DEAD CW HOMEPAGE)

JointComms wrote:
I think that man has the gall and the balls to suceed.
Could Daniel of 4WH really be the 'gall and the balls' behind CW? Confused

http://www.4webhelp.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=866

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:37 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Maybe you don't know the full story, so I'll tell you:

Cyberwings started off hosting clients on servers in Rackshack's datacenter, in Texas. We are on one of those servers in Texas, so we are not affected by downtime (the network problems are only in the Maine datacenter).

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2002 8:37 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well, thanks for that Daniel Smile

But I thought that that's what DNS servers were for ... Why doesn't CW just throw up a temporary page for their main domain on one of their 'working' servers.

I never had a host (before CW, that is) where I felt I needed to keep track of what city, state, and server name my page was hosted on. With F2S, I became pretty aware of the server names, but ...

That's one thing that makes me feel especially good about not hosting with CW anymore. Almost every week there was some new plan where you had to start worrying about where your pages were going to be hosted, what kind of control panels it would be using, backing up your site again, reloading to a new server, moving to a new Data Center, etc. Razz Wink Rolling Eyes Sad Razz Wink

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:24 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Cyberwings can't put the load of their site on Plesk 1/2, as it would crumble under it!

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2002 10:40 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Cyberwings can't put the load of their site on Plesk 1/2, as it would crumble under it!

Daniel, you may've missed what I was actually talking about in my last post, but if you'll read that part again...
verto wrote:
Why doesn't CW just throw up a temporary page for their main domain...

IMO, this'd be hugely more professional than letting their main domain become a dead server page for a week (or more?).

As a better example for you of what I'm talking about, there's a site I visit rather often with extremely popular forums that also went down over the July 4th holiday. They managed to get their forums back up and functioning a day before they had a working home page again. However the server crash causing the outage also would've made it necessary to rebuild a lot of the content that was on and linked to the home page, so they decided on doing a major renovation of the site, putting up a temporary home page in the mean time.

Maybe you didn't follow all that, but you can check out their home page for a visual example of what I'm talking about:
w-h home page

Of course I'm not suggesting that CW needs to do anything that elaborate. IMO, even a very simple page (aka a 'web presence') is better than a dead domain name for a business that wants to keep a professional image. Otherwise, they're just driving away any potential customers that try to visit their URL. Sad Shocked

Essentially it'd just need to say something like: "We're still in business, and we're working hard to fix things." Wink Cool

Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:09 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah, that would be a good idea, but then propagation would take some time too. If you want to suggest it in the chat room, feel free, but I think only Shawn can change the nameservers for cyberwings.com, and he's way too busy.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 3:01 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Yeah, that would be a good idea, but then propagation would take some time too....he's way too busy.

So you're not planning on buying him out then, D? Laughing Wink Rolling Eyes Cool

verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:47 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
...I think only Shawn can change the nameservers for cyberwings.com

Justin wrote:
Contacting LightShip...

Lightship wrote:
...Cyberwing's repeated failure to pay to Lightship certain contractually-agreed amounts. Lightship was ready and eager to continue to provide Internet services, including technical support, to Cyberwing....

Shawn told everyone that Cyberwings built the data center in Portland Maine....

Of course the truth comes out now that their servers were really co-located....

Add to the fact Cyberwings wasn't a registered company until the 12th of June....

It looks like maybe Shawn doesn't have much control over the nameservers after all....

See Justin's recent thread at Cyberwings Uncovered

Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 7:26 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

He has perfect control over the nameservers, since he owns the domain. He doesn't have control over Plesk 5 though, for now.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:57 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Congratulations to 4WH (and to all of us?) on moving to a new host. Very Happy Mr. Green Cool

I have to say that personally t's been a bit confusing trying to come here for the last week, especially having 4WH down almost a week (it was for me, anyway -- haven't seen many other posts about the downtime though, so I'm not really sure what it was like for the rest of you), having so many posts get deleted in the move to the new host, etc.

And it looks like CWs is still floundering somewhat in their move --

Cyberwings.com wrote:
CEO-Shawn wants to be able to deliver 100% stable, non-questionable stability and I do not want to move ahead quite yet until we fix...
...that's the latest they have on the temp page up at their main domain.

Hopefully having a new, more stable host will cause that kind of stuff to be history, so we can get on with our PHP and whatever. Wink Smile Laughing Mr. Green

Buckaroogal
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 5:15 am (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ok, all this talk about how Shawn is going to do this and that, so where the heck is my services. My site stopped being one two months ago. Shawn never answers email, and the troubledesk tickets never get answered. So, where is he and everybody else?
My guess is in Jamaica drinking up the sun and spending our money. Evil or Very Mad

Anyone have any working links besides the old one from July.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BuckaroogalSend Personal Message
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:43 am (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Buckaroogal wrote:
Ok, all this talk about how Shawn is going to do this and that, so where the heck is my services. My site stopped being one two months ago. Shawn never answers email, and the troubledesk tickets never get answered. So, where is he and everybody else?
My guess is in Jamaica drinking up the sun and spending our money. Evil or Very Mad

Anyone have any working links besides the old one from July.
looks like this is the latest ... Mr. Green

verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 2:47 am (21 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

www.cyberwingsowesmemoney.com wrote:
Sept 5 update

As of Sept 4 2002, all servers and equipment belonging to Shawn J White and Cyberwing Communications, but currently possessed by Lightship Telecom have been seized by the court pending resolution of Lightship's claim against Shawn J White and Cyberwing Communication. Cyberwings can no longer exercise their legal right under Maine law to retrieve all equipment; a right that they never exercised although they could have.

This information this has been confirmed by the Court Clerk, Superior Court, Cumberland County Court - docket number: CV02408

Anyone wishing to verify this information on their own should call them at 207-822-4105.

this was posted above at the same link ... :: Wink

Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:02 pm (21 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Quote:
Congratulations to 4WH (and to all of us?) on moving to a new host.

Looks like 34SP were a good choice Wink. The downtime since the move has been minimal! Very Happy

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: