4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Solution for Password Protection other than .htaccess
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
rudme
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:21 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

ANYBODY out there at this new thing???
On the nukien webhosting thing i found one big flaw,
no .htaccess ro .htpword files.
(they disapear and can't be removed anymore)
now, i know there are other ways to password protect a cgi directory such as an admin area, but WHAT and WHERE?
Can anyone help me with this, i just spent some hours on cgi resources but didn't find a dam thing
Any input appreciated
rudme
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by rudmeSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 4:24 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think all you need to do for .htaccess files to appear is to add "-a" to the LIST command ("LIST -a"). This setting is not available in all FTP software.

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 5:32 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

rudme wrote:

ANYBODY out there at this new thing???
On the nukien webhosting thing i found one big flaw,
no .htaccess ro .htpword files.
(they disapear and can't be removed anymore)
now, i know there are other ways to password protect a cgi directory such as an admin area, but WHAT and WHERE?
Can anyone help me with this, i just spent some hours on cgi resources but didn't find a dam thing
Any input appreciated
rudme

What FTP Client are you using?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Gandalf
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 2:00 am (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If it's such a big bother (or if it's impossible to Telnet to the server), why not simply overwrite the (apparently unwanted, if I understood correctly) .htaccess file with a new, empty one?

(as for alternate ways to protect files online: there are ways to do this with MySQL and PHP, but the ways I can think of right now are cumbersome.)

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 2:30 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:

I think all you need to do for .htaccess files to appear is to add "-a" to the LIST command ("LIST -a"). This setting is not available in all FTP software.

Sounds so easy.
I have WS_FTP LE and i do have an FTP COMMAND thing in it (that i have never used ergo no clue what to do with it) that says LIST
now if i do click on it while i am in that particular folder (which i renamed as "trash" now as my best idea of "disposle") where i buried the 2 .ht files on nukien it just says nothing, it does not show them in there either.
So, what are your instructions on how to do this?
Do i need to add this "-a" to the files before i upload them, or simple pop 2 of those -a's into the open LIST window?????
Can you specify please
Thanks
Rud
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by rudmeSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 2:37 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

This should help http://www.users.f2s.com/faq/wsftp.php3

Cheers

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 6:28 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

if you are looking for anything except .htaccess protection, you may use cookie based/session based protection in files with support for multiple user levels. there are many out there awaiting for you to use them.

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2002 6:31 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

jayant wrote:

if you are looking for anything except .htaccess protection, you may use cookie based/session based protection in files with support for multiple user levels. there are many out there awaiting for you to use them.

forgot to mention that you won't be able to protect data in not script files i.e all except php/cgi/pl/asp/... with it

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Garth Farley
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 12:16 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If you are really concerned about protecting some stuff, could you upload them outside of the www - publicly available - directory .

Then you could write a Perl script for yourself in the www directory that, once you enter the correct password, will pipe these external files through the to your browser.

It wouldn't be too much of a challenge writing such a script to pipe text files, but images and non-text files would be a bit fiddly, but should be possible.

It's a tough work-around, but if you are desperate should work.

Garth Farley
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by Garth FarleySend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 4:34 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I still don't see why htaccess can't be used. Even if you can't see the file, you can still overwrite it.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:05 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

some of you know in the meantime the nukiens (ornvphost)
which is where my files are.
Anyone of you tried to password protect a cgi dir (all cgi files in that dir) with something???
The thing with the WS_FTP COMMAND LIST looks like the best solution - if only i knew how to do it.

Overwriting (someone wrote) the 2 files?
What for, they are not only invisible, they are also not working, and that is the problem.
If they where working i wouldn't care if they where visible or not

Daniel wrote:

I still don't see why htaccess can't be used. Even if you can't see the file, you can still overwrite it.
rudme
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2002 6:44 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

There i use this WS_FTP thing since years - and always thought these 2 white empty bars within the commando buttons are just a "decorative misfortune".
Well, now i know how to view and even edit those invisibles (but it still doesn't work, need to find someone with specific experience for .htaccess in nukien, i guess that file needs something extra particularly for that host to work (besides of the full path i mean)
Rud

Ben wrote:

This should help http://www.users.f2s.com/faq/wsftp.php3

Cheers
szo2
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2002 10:21 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well, you just enter ".htaccess" in the text box between the command buttons on the right and press enter, don't you?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by szo2Send Personal MessageSend email
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: