4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

PHP: True Type Fonts
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
php4ever
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:28 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

While waiting for db server 0002 to be fixed, I thought I'd try to learn how to use PHP to create true type font images and wrote this code:

<?php
header('Content-Type: image/jpeg');
$im = ImageCreate(350,70);
$red = ImageColorAllocate($im, 0xFF, 0x00, 0x00);
$black = ImageColorAllocate($im, 0x00,0x00,0x00);
imagettftext($im, 20, 0,10,40, $black,'times.ttf','The TIMES TTF font');
ImageJPEG($im);
ImageJPEG($im,"myttf.jpg");
imagedestroy($im);
?>

The code doesn't work and I'm not sure why but I think it has s.thing to do with the imagettftext() and not having the correct path to times.ttf. So, if anyone has any ideas about how to make this work, I'd be very pleased to know.

Incidentally, I'm at f2s and they are using GD 1.62.

-- php4ever
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by php4everSend Personal Message
php4ever
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:21 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just figured out what was wrong with above code and thought I'd share since a) I posed the question and b) apparently I'm not the only one who's experienced difficulties getting TTF fonts to work w/PHP.

So, what was wrong with the code above is that it needed a full path to the font. Even when I re-uploaded the font times.ttf and put it in the same directory as the php script, it refused to work. Also, when I tried to hard-code the complete url to the font it failed. However, when I used the $DOCUMENT_ROOT variable in the path to the font, then it worked.

Here's my revised code, which includes some renamed vars and a color change in addition to using a valid path to the font:

<?php
header('Content-Type: image/jpeg');
$im = ImageCreate(350,70);
$bcolor = ImageColorAllocate($im, 0xFF, 0x00, 0x00);
$fcolor = ImageColorAllocate($im, 0xFF,0xFF,0xFF);
imagettftext($im, 20, 0,10,40, $fcolor,"$DOCUMENT_ROOT/fonts/times.ttf",'The TIMES TTF font');
ImageJPEG($im);
ImageJPEG($im,'myttf.jpg');
imagedestroy($im);
?>

and the url is:
http://www.preservestaffnow.org/expfont.php

Here's 2 more ptrs: when you upload a true type font file it should be uploaded as a binary.
And, make sure to use imagedestroy() at end of your script to free up memory on the server.
php4ever
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 1:16 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

When I run the above script at f2s, it does output the image to the browser but it won't output the image to a file and I'm not sure why. Is it b/c f2s uses GD1.6.2 instead of GD1.8 or is this related to permissions or is this related to safe-mode. If anyone knows why, I'd like to be enlightened. Thanks.
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 8:07 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

should be because of permissions. check the permissions of the script and the directory where the new file is being created.
if file being written exists. check its permissions also.

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
php4ever
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:38 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks Jayant for your reply.

Okay, I changed the permissions on both the script and the directory so that a new jpg or png should be dynamically created and still I get nothing. Since apparently it's not a permissions thing, perhaps this inability arises due to safe-mode or the GD version @ f2s (1.6.2). In any event, I am unable to dynamically generate a png or a jpg altho' I can output those images via the browser. Confused

So, any more thoughts?
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 6:50 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Try running the script out of safe mode (I think you can do that at F2S by changing the extension to .cgi and adding a line with the path to PHP at the top).

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:41 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

and it worked! Thank you, Daniel; I appreciate the tip. Very Happy

By changing to out-of-safe-mode, I was able to run one script that ouputted an image to a PNG file and another that outputted a different image to a JPG file.

Regards,
php4ever
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: