4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

That fool 'Carat' operator!
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Poll :: Do you remember what the ^ operator stands for in Perl?

Extends your pattern's legibility by permitting whitespace and comments.
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
Matches a non-digit character
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Quotes the next metacharacter
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Updates your address book w/ Larry Wall's e-mail address
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Form feed
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Matches the beginning of the line
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Treats string as single line
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Changes the word furniture into the word Furniture
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 5

verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:55 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I couldn't find a better place to post this (such as a board for a specific language) because I don't know the answer to my question yet, doh! Embarassed Wink Confused Cool

On a JavaScript certification test I've taken a few times, i noticed I kept missing various questions related to the 'carat' operator (i.e., ^ ). In JavaScript, it's used for XOR bitwise operations (logical 'exclusive' OR), but something in me kept wanting to use it as a 'power' (exponentiation) operator (i.e., x ^ y = x to the yth power).

I've finally gotten the ^ somewhat firmly associated w/ XOR in JavaScript, but can't, for the life of me, remember in which (if any) language it's used for exponentiation. I tried searching online for its usage in different languages for exponentiation, but it's taking too long I'm afraid. So far, I've found it used for XOR in C ... Sad Embarassed Crying or Very sad Laughing

There must be some programmers out there who already know/remember this! Wink Smile

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.

Last edited by verto on Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
general-chat.com
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 10:04 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

what are u on about me confussed Crying or Very sad Sad Shocked

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 12:42 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well I can confirm that it isn't used by Perl or PHP or C or C++ or Java.

Yeah this is beginning to get to me too.

By the way, as the Mathematician that I am, I must clarify the difference betweem exponentiation and power. Exponent is 3 X 10**-4. Power is simply 3**-4

Where ** stands for power of.

Garth Farley
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by Garth FarleySend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 8:50 am (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well, actually, I'm sure I've seen ^ used in Perl scripts... Smile

For example, when you configure an email address in FormMail, there's a ^ in front of it.

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2002 11:44 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Well, actually, I'm sure I've seen ^ used in Perl scripts... Smile

Oh yeah, the carat is used for XORing bits in a few languages, as well as Perl RegExps.

Garth Farley
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 2:45 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Garth wrote:
"Oh yeah, the carat is used for XORing bits in a few languages, as well as Perl RegExps."

Well you're right on that, and thanks for the bit about exponentiation (i'm beginning to think that this's maybe one reason i never felt right about logarithms when i took math in High School -- i never really got down the differences in all the terminology. Sure, logs are really the same as exponents -- or are they? Embarassed Crying or Very sad Laughing )

i think i got the answer i was looking for at another site where i posted this. The server for it's down at the moment, so i can't post the replies, but one was to the effect that ^ is used for power ops in sed and VBS (which i think maybe is the same as VBScript?).

Some of my earliest programming was done in a version of Quick Basic that Microsoft sold as an IDE back in the mid-80's before they started bundling a pared-down version of it with MS-DOS, and i'm still guessing that this's where i got that usage from. I haven't confirmed this yet for Quick Basic or Sed (which i think actually uses it in RegExps in same way as Perl), but here's what i found online for VBScript:

Quote:
"The ^ operator, which is sometimes called "hat", is used to raise a number to a power."

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
Garth Farley
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2002 9:18 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I thought that was ** in Perl and PHP. Not C anyway, it needs the pow() function. No idea about Java. So it must be different for each language.

Garth Farley
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 11:28 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

well thanks for thinking about it, Garth Smile

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: