4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Desktop GUI website or not?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
hvaglin
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 12:34 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

We've had this up for a poll on http://dynapi.sf.net, but I think it might make a good topic here too.

As you probably know, with DHTML - HTML, the DOM, CSS and javascript mixed together - you can build pretty advanced pages. The only real trick is to overcome the in-compatiblities between the different browsers implementations of the tehniques.
DynAPI which is a crossbrowser DHTML library, is one of the things that helps you overcome those in-compabilities.

So with that out of the way comes the question of what to use this powerful technique for. It makes webpages come alive on the clientside, while most dynamic implementation in later years been about the serverside that is dynamic implementation of content. DHTML is has much more to do with the dynamicity of the webpage design itself, something tht hasn't been much more than a few neat effects and fun stuff here and there on webpages. Now however we have the possability to create something that resambles of a desktop GUI.

But do we really want that? Or is there a value to keep a webpage strictly a webpage?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by hvaglinSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN MessengerICQ Number
php4ever
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 7:46 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think that Javascript can add some nice touches to a web page and so I for one am unequivocally for the use of Javascript to spruce up a webpage. If the user will view a more interesting or surprising page which is a result of DHTML code, I think the user may have his/her interest peaked.

As for as should a web-page be restricted to only being a web-page, I can't see any harm in being inventive and using web technologies to create desktop GUI's.

As a developer, I think that the more tools there are to wield, the more memorable and artistic will be the results of our efforts.

One of the things that I've noticed is that with the sudden emphasis on network security, one of the things that is getting overlooked is that webpages should exude some personality and be fun as well as have a sense of humor. Developing such webpages will require more than mere HTML and CSS. DHTML, including Javascript, is surely part of the answer.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by php4everSend Personal Message
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:05 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just make sure it's not too painful on 56K!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
php4ever
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:08 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Andrew,
Thanks for the link. It is a terrific example of how one might code successfully with DHTML. I for one usually avoid computer games. However, I succumbed to this one and shamefully admit that I spent far too much time playing that game than studying its source! Embarassed

Justin,
About not being too hard on a 56K modem with DHTML and JavaScript, well, if I'm an ardent advocate of each while using 28.8K, that should speak volumes as regards the worthiness of using such nifty front-end tools. Very Happy
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by php4everSend Personal Message
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 7:23 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Doesn't work on my mac Crying or Very sad
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:22 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That invaders game isn't a good example, because it only works on IE4+ Win from my cursory glance.

But to get back to the subject, which GUI would you emulate? KDE? GTK? Windows? OSX?

If I want a GUI then I'll build the app in python using wxWindows...

Just my ramblings

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:20 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hello, this is my first post here Smile

I don't think DHTML is quite ready for a GUI yet - seeming as IE and NS have different DOMs and different ways of accessing them.

As for wxWindows - I have used it extensively myself and have found it to be incredibly powerful. Anyone fancy writing a wxIE module? Wink
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by HertzsprungSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:26 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I love wxWindows - especially the wxPython version used in conjunction with pythoncard - never realised that a GUI could be so easy!

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:32 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Me too! wxPython rocks! I have looked at pythoncard a little, but it didn't seem to be up to scratch for my purposes. Do you use WingIDE? That is one cool piece of kit!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by HertzsprungSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:40 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm only just starting with python so pythoncard does all I need atm - but I agree, it is a little limited at present. The good thing is that you can mix wxpython code in where required - just have a look at some of their examples to see what I mean.

No, I don't use WingIDE as I cannot afford the $180, and cannot say that I'll never use it for commercial development either (needed for Edu. discount or OS discount) Sad

Know of a free IDE better than IDLE?

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:43 pm (21 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I don't know of another one that works for wxPython - it's the multithreaded environment that allows WingIDE to work, I think. Ask on here if you haven't already used it Smile
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: