4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Netscape 6.2 and <table> HEIGHT attribute values
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 1:36 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I've got a short table that I want to completely fill the top navigational frame of my frameset at 55 pixels. When I set the Table's Height attribute to 100%, it works fine in MSIE 5 and NS 4, but in NS 6.2 the table only fills about the top 2/3 of the frame. Crying or Very sad Confused Surprised

So then I tried setting the Height attribute at 55 (pixels, that is, though you're not supposed to have to add any abbreviation for units if you use pixels), which again, is the total height of my frame. What happens? The table gets too BIG now, and parts of my nav disappear below the border. Sad Confused Surprised

Is it me? Or is it Netscape 6.2? Evil or Very Mad Mad Surprised Smile

I really wanna know! Smile Rolling Eyes Cool Surprised
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 7:33 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I've never found the height attribute to be very reliable.

You could try using a transparent gif set to 55 pixels to hold the size.

Also make sure you set cellpadding and cellspacing to zero. Leaving them out doesn't always set them to zero.

Is the page online so we can test it for you?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 11:23 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

verto wrote:
I've got a short table that I want to completely fill the top navigational frame of my frameset at 55 pixels. When I set the Table's Height attribute to 100%, it works fine in MSIE 5 and NS 4, but in NS 6.2 the table only fills about the top 2/3 of the frame. Crying or Very sad Confused Surprised

So then I tried setting the Height attribute at 55 (pixels, that is, though you're not supposed to have to add any abbreviation for units if you use pixels), which again, is the total height of my frame. What happens? The table gets too BIG now, and parts of my nav disappear below the border. Sad Confused Surprised

Is it me? Or is it Netscape 6.2? Evil or Very Mad Mad Surprised Smile

I really wanna know! Smile Rolling Eyes Cool Surprised

If I had to guess, it's probbably NetsCRAPe
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Robert Wellock
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:06 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Without seeing your code I cannot tell, however it is likely to be you rather than Netscape 6.2x, I’ve progressed onto using Mozilla 1.0.

As was previously stipulated the <td> height attribute isn’t reliable for percentages and using CSS to set body margins to 0 px, etc. is beneficial, to try and achieve such layouts.

Last edited by Robert Wellock on Mon May 19, 2003 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by Robert WellockSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 5:58 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think I read somewhere that HTML 4 doesn't support the height attribute in tables... but I'm not sure... Head over to w3.org.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 1:50 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

To all who suspected the HEIGHT attribute is unsupported...

Yes, it's "deprecated," but plenty of ppl still use it, as well as some of the WYSIWYG HTML editors. Anyway, since it didn't solve my problem, I tried spacer gifs next, which also didn't work.

The problem actually seems to be that Netscape opens a differently sized frame at that size than IE by about 8-10%. Or you might say, NS uses larger pixels than MSIE! Rolling Eyes

To solve it for my site, I had to use JavaScript to open differently sized frames for each major browser (MSIE, NN4, NN6). Laughing

It's really hard to be much of a big fan of Netscape or Mozilla (despite it being open source). Fact is, for most of the older systems out there, and even the not so old systems, they're both too big and slow to use. I tried installing NS 6 at a local computer center on some systems with 466MHZ processors and 64MB RAM, and it takes about 15 minutes just to load the program.

At my local public library they avoided installing it up to a couple of months ago, only doing it now as an alternative to NS 4.7, which despite being about 5 years old, they've kept on their systems. It seems to take at least twenty times longer to load than either MSIE 6 or NS 4.7, and it ties up your system so that it's hard to do anything else during the five to ten minutes it takes to load up.

An article on Web browsers for Linux which I read the night before last (in March's Linux Journal) put this another way: "Mozilla... does not have lightweight as a design goal..." (that was in the article's pull quotes). Very Happy

Anyway now I'm having a different problem with NS 6.x, and if anyone has NS 6.x and can help me, I'll try posting it as a separate thread above to keep things clear.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: