4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

What is the best forum/BBS/Discussion board it script?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Poll :: Best Script?

phpBB
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
vB
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Phorum
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
IVB
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 6:20 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Paul wrote:
OpenBB is the best. http://www.openbb.net

Open BB RC3 - http://www.jsnwebservices.com/forum/
Open BB Final - http://forums.prolixmedia.com/

They've gone backwards in every single was possible, they should have never booted out the developers. it was promising at one point, now it's ****.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
sallam
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 10:47 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

What about w-agora, at http://www.w-agora.net
it's not just a forum, its a complete system, multi-sites, multi-forums, and totally configurable.
its licence is also artistic licence, so anyone can modify the code freely.
I dont know why it was not mentioned here in the comparison.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by sallamSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 5:56 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If we had mentioned ALL BBs, we'd be here forever! Anyway, I looked at w-agora, and it looks OK, but it's missing a load of features, that's probably why it's not well known.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 8:20 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

1- does Invision Board or phpbb support multi categories and forums?

2- can each forum be independantly administered?

3- are their forums configurable? like adding more custom fields in post forms?
sallam
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:53 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

can users be allowed to upload files (not just avatars) in phpbb or Invision board?
selpaw
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:01 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

For free BB system.. you can stop looking and go with Invision Board. It is way better then phpBBv2.

For a paid solution - well... vBulletin of course.

Selpaw Web Directory
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by selpawSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
selpaw
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 10:02 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

sallam wrote:
can users be allowed to upload files (not just avatars) in phpbb or Invision board?

Yes you can in Invision Board. I also think you can with phpBB2.

Selpaw Web Directory
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by selpawSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:30 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Going off topic for a second...
Justin wrote:
I think it is good, but it depends on the colour scheme of your site, over at F2support, it looks quite good, whereas I think it would look **** using phpbb

Has F2S got a support forum? if so what is the address?
Thanks

...resuming topic.

What is IBF like for creating themes/customising layout etc? phpBB is OK, but its a bit overly complicated and I don't see the point of being able to create multiple themes for a template, sure you can change the colours but thats pretty useless if you can't specify a different set of images.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:36 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Darren: you can actually specify a different set of images, at least for the gradients. With a little editing you can specify a set of images for the whole theme (buttons too!).

F2Support is an unofficial F2S support site. http://www.freedom2support.co.uk/

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:47 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Darren: you can actually specify a different set of images, at least for the gradients. With a little editing you can specify a set of images for the whole theme (buttons too!).

F2Support is an unofficial F2S support site. http://www.freedom2support.co.uk/

but you shouldn't have to edit anything...thats too much like hard work Laughing

thanks for the link.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:48 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

You're not going to do any customization without editing Smile

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 4:05 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

For me the only really important thing in a forum is how well it keeps track of read threads/forums. The only forum I'v come across that does it propley is YaBB. Ok YaBB is lacking in other areas but that doesnt bother me in the slightest...

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 8:21 pm (21 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
If we had mentioned ALL BBs, we'd be here forever! Anyway, I looked at w-agora, and it looks OK, but it's missing a load of features, that's probably why it's not well known.

You forget that most forums don't need these so-called features. Look at how often we use the text formatting options in phpBB etc. Basically all people need is a board, smilies and user management. Some chatty sites may want more, but for running others they'd only get in the way.

Peter

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 1:56 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I found Ikonboard complex and the talk of changes sounded ominous. So I went for YABB. It's the only one with a good who's online feature + an optional chatroom.

Of course there's the lazy option of NW54 - very very easy, simple interface and all hosted for me. But it carries ads and costs about $3 a month to keep it adfree.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by ShanoftheForestSend Personal Message
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 9:28 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think you'll find the Latest Version of Invision Board has just killed off all the compeition, it was good before, but now there is nothing that can come anywhere near it
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next