4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Personal Firewalls
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:16 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi,

As I'm getting ADSL shortly can anyone recommend a free firewall to run on Windows 98? I thought of ZoneAlarm, but after reading the reviews on Download.com of it I'm not sure whether it's going to B****r my brand new computer or save it Smile

Thanks
Peter

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 6:26 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I would say use the one built into Windows, but that only comes with Windows XP, if you're on 98, Zone Alarm would be a good bet.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 3:52 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Anyone else got suggestions?

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:05 pm (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

A friend of mine uses Tiny Personal Firewall 3.0, which can be found at :

http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?s=9107547958550458830A0&la=EN&va=&ver=W&pg=tpf3home_high

And thinks that it is quite good, although I've never tried it so I can't comment.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
selpaw
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:58 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Justin wrote:
A friend of mine uses Tiny Personal Firewall 3.0, which can be found at :

http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny2?s=9107547958550458830A0&la=EN&va=&ver=W&pg=tpf3home_high

And thinks that it is quite good, although I've never tried it so I can't comment.

I am using TPFv2 - that is free and you can still get it from Tiny. I think TPFv3 you need to pay...

Excellent product! Would be worth the $$ as well...

Selpaw Web Directory
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by selpawSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
stephenwolf
Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 12:09 am (21 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I am using Zone Alarm firewall and Visual Zone report utility.Both are free downloads and work very well on my xp program.I am a novice computer user and the firewall is easy to use.The report utility takes a little practice but works well and gives lots of info. and options.I would recommend both tools.Check your "plug and play" port to see that it is closed(even with firewall!!!)There are patches available on windows update and the web.Another good idea (some good free products also)is a good antivirus and if you have concerns about trojans,there are some very good anti-trojan downloads.(anti-viruses usually dont detect trojans).I had to pay for the anti-trojan that i like the best.Is all this a bit extreme?In this era ,I feel you can never be too safe!!!I surf chats and am exposed to a lot of "stuff".Everybody has to guage their risk factor. Smile
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by stephenwolfSend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: