4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Design for 4WebHelp.net
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Garth Farley
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 3:31 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

And since when is CARP (rotate A and R) a curse?

Garth Farley
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by Garth FarleySend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 5:24 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Never has been, you wrote "****"!

One of the advantages of logging in: being able to edit your posts!

Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 10:05 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Gandalf wrote:

Quote:
It was the only way I found to get the gradient.

Yeah, but do you really need the gradient? How about a simple single-color background, or a nice all-blue tiled background with darker or lighter blue text (or some other color scheme alltogether)? I think it'll seem much more professional.

Well, what do you guys think of it without the gradient/ I personally think it looks more boring, but if you like it that's fine Smile

Peter.

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2002 10:14 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

reywob wrote:

Gandalf wrote:

Quote:
It was the only way I found to get the gradient.

Yeah, but do you really need the gradient? How about a simple single-color background, or a nice all-blue tiled background with darker or lighter blue text (or some other color scheme alltogether)? I think it'll seem much more professional.

Well, what do you guys think of it without the gradient/ I personally think it looks more boring, but if you like it that's fine Smile

Peter.

My Opinion?

It looks terrible now, really boring, really basic and doesn't look so good, Can't we have the gradient back?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
WebEgo
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:37 am (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It does seem to load a little faster but I agree with Justin that it doesn't look as good. Sad

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:50 am (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

WebEgo wrote:

It does seem to load a little faster but I agree with Justin that it doesn't look as good. Sad

I don't notice any difference in the load times, and I'm only on a 56K Connection!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 3:20 am (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Have to say it looks a bit rubbish now Sad

Besides it will be stored in a users cache and depending on their settings stay there for a while so shouldnt really affect download time.

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Peter
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 7:41 am (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well I'm glad you've all said that - I just wanted to make sure after all the complaints about the gradient Smile

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 9:23 am (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Quote:
Besides it will be stored in a users cache and depending on their settings stay there for a while so shouldnt really affect download time.

Fair point - maybe the web wasn't as busy when I was last here. Long live the gradient Wink

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 10:08 am (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think it looks cleaner without the gradient, but that's just me.

The majority has ruled, I think the gradient was prefered. Sorry for the bother.

Oh, and I'm also sorry about the curse, I don't normally do that.

Garth Farley
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by Garth FarleySend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2002 12:14 pm (22 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Peter, can't you take the perl & php commands out of the gradient, because it looks a little stupid to have them all down the page. Why not put the perl, php... in the logo?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 2:35 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Garth Farley wrote:
Since you are talking about the design, may I suggest that someone tests it in Netscape 4? I know that few people use it, but those that do will instantly notice problems.

Just visited the site with NS 4.7, and it's majorly screwed up. Can't even post since none of the forms render correctly. Try it and you'll see. I'm posting with IE 5.x now.
OfflineFind all posts by Anonymous
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 9:02 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

While I appreciate that there are some users of NS 4.x still out there, most of those versions of Netscape are majorly screwed up in the first place, and working to make the site work with NS 4.x (4.7 & 4.9 especially) is just a lost cause. I'm not sure exactly how old NS 4.7 is, but something tells me it must be at least a few years old.

The problem (to me) with NS 4.x is that even if your code is perfectly valid, it will not only not display some of the visual "pluses", but it will screw them up to make everything look terrible. Anything involving complicated tables and CSS seems to throw Netscape off, so... Smile

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:01 am (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Guest wrote:
Garth Farley wrote:
Since you are talking about the design, may I suggest that someone tests it in Netscape 4? I know that few people use it, but those that do will instantly notice problems.

Just visited the site with NS 4.7, and it's majorly screwed up. Can't even post since none of the forms render correctly. Try it and you'll see. I'm posting with IE 5.x now.

Just visited myself with NS 4.7 while using it for something else (still use it for testing, among other reasons), and Garth's right that many pages here don't display well. Also, like 'Guest' mentioned, found it's impossible to post or read posts, and I had to switch browsers also.

From my own experience though, I'm pretty aware of the trouble it can be to support NN4 for pages with very much CSS; for Daniel alone, or even a whole team of WHelpers here to try and redesign the site to support version 4 browsers would probably be a pretty thankless job. After all, most versions of NN4 are about half a dozen years old now, and were just starting to support CSS, which wasn't even very fully standardized itself.

What might be appropriate though, mainly to make it clear to visitors that NN4.x isn't supported and that they're going to run into problems using it, would be to add a couple of lines of JavaScript to the main page to popup a warning alert.

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:08 pm (21 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks for the idea verto. Another thing I forgot to say is that phpBB's subSilver template was designed by a professional web designer and tested for many months on as many different browsers as possible, so unless the changes I made are causing the problems (which is possible Smile), there's not much that really can be done.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next