4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Netscape - CSS - different hosts - Wierd!
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:28 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Here's a strange one for you!

I've been working on a site that has a linked style sheet. I noticed that in NS4 on mac and PC the styles were not displaying, but was fine in IE.

I couldn't find any obvious mistakes, but by eliminating various parts of the style sheet it would work. Stupid things like font-family definitions (the kind of things you use on a regular basis) Anyway this was inconsitent sometimes it fixed it other times it didn't.

By this time I'm well frustrated !!

And now the strange bit:

This was happening on my Cyberwings webspace, but when I uploaded the same 2 HTML and CSS files to my F2s space they work fine in NS4.

What on Earth is going on? I have phpBB running on Cyberwings and its styles work fine (although its not an external file in this case).

Is it even possible that a different host could make a difference to a CSS file?

Your thoughts please people....
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:30 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Are you sure about the different hosts bit? I know that Netscape has a problem with importing style sheets, but Cyberwings shouldn't have anything to do with it...

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:32 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thats what you would think, but I can't but believe my own eyes!

I'll try some experiments with simple files - I will post links to them If I can get a consistent error.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:35 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It could be a browser/caching problem, or the file might not even exist! (I know that sounds obvious, but...)

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:42 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Netscape 4.xx is **** for CSS!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:46 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That crossed my mind to, but its normally IE I have trouble with caching old versions of a style sheet.

I've tried clearing netscape's cache and relaunching it - no good.

The file must exist or it wouldn't work in IE.

Netscape won't display the stylesheets contents like IE, but I think thats normal, isn't it?
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 6:49 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Justin wrote:
Netscape 4.xx is **** for CSS!

couldn't agree more - in terms of what parts of CSS it supports e.g a:hover. but I don't normally have problems getting the basic styles to work with it.
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 7:05 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ok - if you have Netscape 4.x try these two files.
They both use identical files - uploaded by the same ftp client.

Cyberwings

F2S

The text should be verdana in blue with the title 16px and the link 11px

If yours browser is consistent with mine the F2s one should work and the Cyberwings one shouldn't.

I'm going to scream if they both work fine for you lot Laughing
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 7:08 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Same happens to me. Have you looked in your error log at Cyberwings?

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 7:12 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think I've found the problem Smile Smile The CW page is GZipped, and I think NS has problems with that...

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 7:14 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

F2S has GZIP Installed too?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 7:15 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Same happens to me. Have you looked in your error log at Cyberwings?

a lot of **** goes on on the cyberwings server, If I had to blame one, I would blame the cyberwings, I've already moved a few sites off Cyberwings due to some odd stuff going on.
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 7:17 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

GZIP may be installed, but it isn't being run on the style sheet. All I know is that the F2S one isn't being compressed, and the CW is.

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 7:19 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Nothing in the error log.

So what do I do about this GZIP business?
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 7:22 pm (21 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Wasn't it you who turned on the GZipping in the first place?

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next