4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

DNS Setting Changes to Subdomain - How Long to Wait?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:11 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

About 3 months ago, I moved from F2S to a couple of paid accounts using subdomain addresses. The hosting service, to accommodate its move to a new data center, changed its DNS settings about a week and a half ago, and this has made both my accounts, with their subdomains linked to the new settings, pretty much inaccessible for the last ten days, depending on when or where I try to access them.

When I first discovered this problem, I posted in the service's support forum, and the service's owner said I should give the changes 24-72 hours to 'propagate.' However, it's now been about 10 days (240 hours), and my accounts keep flip-flopping back and forth between accessibility and inaccessibility both by HTTP and FTP.

The service owner has posted that as far as he knows, the settings were done correctly, and if I don't want to wait, I can purchase a domain name and wait a couple of days for them to set it up. So my first question would be: Do the DNS settings for a domain name usually propagate more quickly than those for a subdomain?

I've usually been trying to access my accounts on large public networks, such as those belonging to MIT and the City of Cambridge MA. I also tried checking some remote servers using NSLookup at http://www.infobear.com/cgi-bin/nslookup.cgi, and only two of the four servers can see my accounts (ATT and Mindspring do, and IBM and WebSiteSource don't).

My second question then is: Can anyone can offer me any general info or advice about what's going on?

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:15 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If you're talking about the site in your sig, I can see it fine.

Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:33 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just tried with Anonymizer.com, even that works.

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:38 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Works fine here too
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:30 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Can't you guys give me any help?

I'm not really trying to start a database of what locations in the whole world can see my site. Besides the two questions I asked about, I'd also wonder why the IBM and WebSiteSource servers can't see my main account, and also why I can't currently view it on the network I'm on now.

Can you understand that it doesn't help me very much to know that a couple of people in the UK, someone in PA, and someone in Maine say they can see it while several folks in continental Europe, someone in Alaska, some other servers at infobear, and myself can't?

If you can't help me, then just say so, OK?

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 1:41 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Have you tried another ISP, as some people are right sods and block certain sites, we have one in this country (Tiscali) that black listed my site until i threatened legal action.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 2:14 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well, I'm not directly using an ISP to access my sites right now -- besides the two large public networks I mentioned above, I'm also using another city network in a neighboring town.

All my sites in both accounts were just about always accessible on these networks before 10 days ago. The only real exception was when Internet service was interrupted as a whole (to all Internet sites). Also, why would my sites keep flip-flopping back and forth during the last 10 days between accessibility and non-accessibility? That sounds like a weird kind of blocking, if you could call it that.

And what about the IBM and WebSiteSource servers at http://www.infobear.com/cgi-bin/nslookup.cgi -- would they be blocking stuff like that? Aren't they reliable indicators of accessibility?

JWKConsulting
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 6:00 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well, here's my 2 cents worth.

I believe I know who your hosting service is, because I had been experiencing the same problem.

My access to my subdomains settled down days after they said it would. I seem to have no problems accessing my subdomains now.

There is no difference concerning the propagation time for a domain versus a subdomain. It is determined by when a DNS server is updated. The reason that your site pops in and out of existance, is the routing through the net. Your request(s) may not always take the same route, thus sometimes, it seems most of the time for you, your site is not found/accessible.

Just a side note. If you are planning on moving to a domain name with your web provider, I suggest just purchasing a new account, rather than moving your existing account to a domain name, as the price is currently cheaper that way.

Please feel free to contact me, and maybe I can help further if needed.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JWKConsultingSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
selpaw
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:03 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I get "bad request"
when I try to access:
http://www.sinnett.cyberwings.com/~ulist/

Go speak to cyberwings, they probably haven't something right.

Selpaw Web Directory
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by selpawSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2002 7:03 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah, but he's already done that! Shawn hasn't figured it out yet.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 3:05 pm (22 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I have the same problem the others talked about. so... something needs to be fixed.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by infopageSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 3:28 pm (22 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

What's your subdomain, infopage?

Shawn has said he'll give people with subdomains refunds if they want them.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:01 pm (22 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Loads fine for me Very Happy
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by rolySend Personal MessageSend email
eKstreme
Ex Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 12:16 am (22 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Andrew wrote:

Generated Mon, 18 Mar 2002 07:21:36 GMT by server.ntlworld.com (Squid/2.2.STABLE5)

I am on NTL, and I cannot get through the page, but when I proxy through another server, it works well. So it looks like an NTL thing.

Email them to tell them to get their act together!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by eKstremeSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 7:01 am (22 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

34SP are having the same problem: some of the people on NTL can't access sites on their servers...

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next