4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Dot.TK -- Is There Support?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
verto
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2002 8:59 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Not exactly a Web host, but this looks to be the best board to post about them. What they offer is domain names, both free and cheap, as well as URL redirection (there doesn't really seem to be much difference between that and a free domain name at Dot.TK Twisted Evil ).

I tried one of the free names for about a month, and had to cancel. Basically, it only worked something like 60% of the time, Shocked and the response time always seemed less than optimal. What really seemed a problem though is that other than an automatic form response saying to e-mail another address, I never got any replies to my support queries. Guess you can't expect too much for free, but...

Also, the associated e-mail address I set up stopped working (forwarding my e-mail) for over a week, then, without any explanation, dumped a week's worth of e-mail into my forwarding address. Mad Not exactly what I'd call reliable, and again, all support queries (either by e-mail or using the form on their site) were unanswered. Razz

If you don't need a reliable domain name, maybe this's the way to go. I think a lot of people have been using them -- maybe they just can't keep up with the demand.

Anyone else have comments about their service?

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
:::
.: :. . : :....: :.: .: :. verto .: :. . : :....: :.: .: :.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vertoSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2002 4:33 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I didn't realise that you had to pay for the .tk domains, so I registered one of those (no prices were indicated anywhere that I could see), and set it to point to the appropriate nameservers. I then wondered why it wasn't working! A day or so later, I received an email from them with a bill! That's when I realised that they weren't free! Smile

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:13 pm (21 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel, maybe you either signed up before their current policies took effect, or else weren't paying attention, but unless they've changed their policies and haven't updated their info and explanations about them, then I believe there're actually still four domain options available.

To read about them, go to the main page and click on "Register a New Domain" (first link to the right in the navbar at the top).

In case you're lazy, here's a copy of what it says:

Quote:
At Dot TK we have four domain types that you can choose from. Each domain type has it own specific benefits and is suitable for different purposes. You can choose our free domain name (FREEDOMAIN.TK) but you will need an existing web address to get started immediately, or you can pay for your domain name (PAIDDOMAIN.TK) and increase the control, enabling you to use more than one hostname. But that's not all; please check out the SPECIALDOMAIN.TK and the TRADEMARK.TK. Whatever your personal ambitions are with the domain name, the choice is yours. If you have not read about the different types of domain names, we advise you to look them up in 'How does it work', so you can choose the domain type that suits you best.

(but you'll have to go to the page anyway to use the four embedded links) Smile Twisted Evil

GENERAL DISCLAIMER:This disclaimer may be void where null in all cases unless explicitly not unprohibited or (p)re-exclusively assigned by sufficient presedimentation on behalf of every non-interested party to wit (or so it was said).
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:23 pm (21 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I can't remember what it said at the time I registered; all I remember is that the site wasn't clear about what was free and what wasn't. For example, in the whole registration process, there was no mention of a price.

Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:24 pm (21 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Oops! Just realised I was getting .TK and .KG mixed up! I was talking about .KG domains!

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 4:20 pm (21 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

well, Daniel, you probably might not go worse with KG

anyway, i don't recommend TK to anyone

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: