4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

how to use the "NO Cache"
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
tyjtyj
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 12:43 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

how to include no cache to prevent the page from being cache Question

Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 1:08 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Don't know the answer to the question, but you have a damn good site, VERY Handy, has been bookmarked and I will recommend it.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Gandalf
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 1:33 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The following META tag should do the trick. Just insert it into your HTML file, at the < head > part of it.

Code:
<META content=no-cache http-equiv=pragma>

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 8:39 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

And if you want to be XHTML compliant: Smile

Code:
<meta content="no-cache" http-equiv="pragma" /> 

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 1:48 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Netapps caches ignore such meta tags, not sure about Inktomi and Squid, but I'd imagine they are the same...

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
JdS
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 1:57 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

yep, won't do anything if your ISP or reader's ISP caches... i learnt that the hard way!

if ur using apache - then u can use mod headers/expires to control what gets cached etc

if ur using PHP, then it's also possible by adding something like
Code:

$now = gmdate("D, d M Y H:i:s") . " GMT";
header ("Date: $now");
header ("Expires: $now");
header ("Last-Modified: $now");
header ("Pragma: no-cache");
header ("Cache-Control: no-store, no-cache, max-age=0, must-revalidate");

'New script on the Block' - GIDtopsites
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JdSSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
tyjtyj
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:03 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

thanks for the code
and
Justin
thank for recomending it Razz

anyway my name is Justin too

JdS
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 5:11 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

ooops, sorry Justin Tan, i didn't notice that u were on Tripod. One 'cheat' way to get your page not cached is to use that TRIPOD 'cache buster' code that they use to serve their banner ads, on your pages!

'New script on the Block' - GIDtopsites
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JdSSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
tyjtyj
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 1:06 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I been running perl/cgi in my page that why there are no ad in my page i dont know how to get the cache look like

Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2002 2:41 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Most caches wont cache your site if its mainly cgi as cgi is mostly dynamic content.

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
death2all
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:13 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Add just bellow the title tag:
Code:
<META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="Mon, 06 Jan 1990 00:00:01 GMT">

This way the page will be already expired so it won't be cached.

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:51 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That meta tag is ignored by a vast quantity of browsers out there. The header is usually a more reliable way of preventing caching, but even then some things ignore it.

The best way is to change all the extensions of your .html files to .php, if you use no PHP at all, and if you do, with .htaccess help, you could have a .phtml extension that is not parsed. Then the cacheing program will think it's dynamically generated, when in actual fact it's not.

Garth Farley
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by Garth FarleySend Personal Message
tyjtyj
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 3:56 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thank for all the post
acctually
the simple meta tag has work
in IE
i dont mind with other browser

Tripod doesn't provide php support

Thank for all the help

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: