4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Portland Communications!
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2002 11:28 am (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:

You shifted 250mb for itfconline.net? Wow! That site must be popular!

Yeah, the downside is I have nearly used up half my monthly bandwidth in 2 days, going to have to upgrade to a paid plan, although they are giving me 20% off any plan that they are offer, $6.00 for 100mb and 20gb Bandwidth for that price, sounds good to me.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
John R
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 8:26 am (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

They get worse.......
Quote:

Over the past few weeks you may have noticed that performance on
the FREE hosting provided by Portland has been dogged with problems.
One of the main culprits is the in-efficient Forum software that
many users have been installing.

Regrettably as of 23rd February all Forum software must be removed
from all FREE accounts. After that date Portland must assume that such
accounts are not wanted and they will be deleted and the accounts
locked.

We have acquired a new server Enhanced Server specifically for Forum
users. If you would like to upgrade before Saturday 23rd February we
are making a limited offer of £19.95 for the first 100 users. These
accounts will also include an Enhanced SQL Account on PortlandSQL.

This offer is being made to people who specifically value their forum
or bbs. If you don't value your forum, then sadly I'm afraid time is up
- time to move on.

Click here for more info:

http://www.portland.co.uk/enhanced_forum_hosting.esp?20020215

Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 10:02 am (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That's what all free hosts are doing these days. I guess it's better than shutting down completely like F2S.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:59 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

They terminated one of my accounts - was using it as a place people could upload images and link to them on my forum - because it used 130mb Sad

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
roly
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 7:19 am (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

What happened to all of the images?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by rolySend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:20 am (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

They probably got deleted.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 8:06 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

ftp was still available so I was able to get them Smile

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Lex
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:30 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I just signed up for Portland and it has the worst server speed i've ever seen!

And you ain't seen nothing yet. Within a few months, you'll be getting more "No space left on device" messages than anyone could possibly bear. I had this on all my f2g / port5 accounts (of which I have kept only one), I had to incorporate special tests in my cgi scripts to avoid data corruption.
Apparently they promise 20MB per user, but only provide about 5MB per user, assuming that only a few of them will use the full 20MB. Mad
Portland free webspace is only suitable for very small websites that need to be updated very sporadically and have few visitors/month.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by LexSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:47 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Portland FTP :

Quote:

Connecting to ftp.portland.co.uk
Connected to ftp.portland.co.uk Port 21
220 ProFTPD 1.2.0pre10 (mod_mysql, mod_sqlpw) Server (Portland) [localhost.localdomain]
USER myjsn
331 Password required for myjsn.
PASS (hidden)
Connection failed (Connection lost)

Load of ****!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:21 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

At least F2S (when it was free) had a better service than that (on most servers, except for one server for a while).

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:22 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I know, this is pathetic, how the hell do I offer my users a service if Portland don't even let me ftp in!

It's even better now! :

Quote:

Connecting to ftp.portland.co.uk
Connected to ftp.portland.co.uk Port 21
220 ProFTPD 1.2.0pre10 (mod_mysql, mod_sqlpw) Server (Portland) [localhost.localdomain]
USER myjsn
331 Password required for myjsn.
PASS (hidden)
530 Login incorrect.
Connection failed
roly
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 5:44 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I get it also.
Lex
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 10:46 pm (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I can still log in @ ftp.f2g.net and ftp.portland.co.uk (which appear to be the same server anyway). I also got these "Login incorrect" messages in the past sometimes, the only remedy is trying again after an hour or so, and again and again until it works...
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by LexSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 1:31 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Lex wrote:
I can still log in @ ftp.f2g.net and ftp.portland.co.uk (which appear to be the same server anyway). I also got these "Login incorrect" messages in the past sometimes, the only remedy is trying again after an hour or so, and again and again until it works...

Been Trying for daysssssss, still can't get in Sad
roly
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2002 5:59 am (22 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I have been trying since early febuary!
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next