4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Absolute position not so absolute?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:25 pm (17 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm going nuts trying to figure this out. I'm creating a photo gallery, and I've positioned the two 'Previous' and 'Next' images with absolute positioning. I'm struggling with two problems which are both related to the font size (I guess it's one problem showing itself in different ways). First, the position is not the same in IE and Firefox. Second, the position changes with the font size. As far as I know, the size of a pixel doesn't change when the font size changes, so I'd really love to know what's going on here if anyone has any ideas.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:45 pm (17 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just an update, I gave up on the way I was originally trying to implement it and did it a different way to get around the problem.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:32 pm (17 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I myself love the absolute positioning and use it constantly, but you have to stick with one browser or you go nuts!

That's why website's use the 'written for : ie6 / 1024x768, etc' on the index.htm, just so you know that things can get corrupted in other borwsers.

The only other way of going around it, that I know, is play with the lay out, so it has some kind off margin / headroom, so to speak. That's kinda far-streched method by the way.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by fgidigiSend Personal Message
adam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:56 pm (17 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Writing a disclaimer like that doesn't really help, if anything it advertises to your visitors that you don't want to cater to everyone. There's always a way to get your design to look the same across the board, you just need to be a little creative some times.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:06 am (17 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The absolute positioning is different in IE (non-compliant wc3) than ff and others due to the way it measures a screen. If any % in any divs on page, and its a mess. I just got done messing with a site, and it still is not the same in all browsers. close but a bit different in IE. I am learning about the conditional statements for IE on display issues. IE7 is a whole lot better with wc3 specs, but then the display for older IE6 freaks out. I'm hesitant to do much with fluid css because of this irregularities.

The conditional statements are not code compliant and can screw up accessibility for handicap persons.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by cbryancuSend Personal Message
adam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:21 am (17 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I've found the conditional statements quite useful. Admittedly they're not exactly standard, but since they're written inside comments I don't see any harm in using them.

In what way do they screw up accessibility?

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:29 am (17 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

They probably don't directly effect accessibility unless of course specific configurations and versions of M$IE are not considered. In which case unless you can test the layout in said browser versions you won't really know 100% if it will render correctly thus 'theoretically' causing issues.

In essence they are similar to a hack and possibly technically speaking bad markup but in the real world they aren't the worst solution for really extreme circumstance for a buggy browser.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: