4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Aardvark Map
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
altyfc
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:20 pm (17 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

We've just created a new tool/website at http://www.aardvarkmap.net

The design is deliberately simple, to hopefully reflect the simplicity and ease with which you can create maps for your own site.

Opinions welcomed.

Thanks

Aaron

altyfc
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:23 am (17 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Any comments, anyone?? Confused

Thanks

Aaron

adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:46 pm (17 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I like the design and the site seems nice and easy to use. My only criticism is the HTML -- no doctype, and I would have used XHTML and avoided using tables for layout.

Validation results: Assuming HTML 4.01 -- Assuming XHTML 1.0

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:56 pm (17 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Actually, we've just changed the design and made one or two modifications such as including examples and reducing the number of steps required to make a map.

Not sure about the validation yet, but what do you think of the new look?

Aaron

adam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:22 pm (17 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I like the new design. The only thing I think you should look at is what happens when the page content is long:

http://moosoft.net/files/2006/Aardvark-screenshot.png

It would be better if you could somehow extend the background image to match the length of the page.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:14 pm (17 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah, it's not ideal, is it?

Problem is the 'folders' have curvy lines aren't easily extendable to accommodate pages with different amount of content (bear in mind each of the pages extends with the Javascript help also).

In the end, we felt this was the best solution...

Aaron

Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:04 am (17 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

adam wrote:
I like the new design. The only thing I think you should look at is what happens when the page content is long:

http://moosoft.net/files/2006/Aardvark-screenshot.png

It would be better if you could somehow extend the background image to match the length of the page.

Spot on.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
altyfc
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:53 pm (17 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It's a valid point. Unfortunately I just don't see an easy solution. We could put it all in an iFrame and make it fit the page with a scroll bar, but I don't think that would be ideal either.

Aaron

adam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:29 pm (17 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Doesn't necessarily need to be an iFrame, in CSS:

Code:
#whatever{ overflow: scroll; }

Not that that would look any better Smile

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:05 pm (17 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Sure... I'm not sure what else we can do really, but would welcome ideas.

Aaron

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: