4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

ZoneEdit help
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
seachen
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:43 am (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

my domain is registered under yahoo. now i would like to use ZoneEdit DNS service. i hv set the ZoneEdit name server at my yahoo domain. after that i log in to Zone Edit. it got many thing to edit. i m cunfuse with it. which part i need to set in order to make my domain point to my hosting?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by seachenSend Personal Message
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:06 pm (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The most important thing to do is add an A record (i.e. "IP Address") for your domain name to point at the IP of the web server which hosts your site. You should also set up a CNAME record for "www." and probably some MX records assuming you want email.

So for example you might have the following records (you should contact your host for the proper IP Address and mail server name):

IP Addresses ('A' Records):

• Domain: example.com
  • IP Address: 192.168.1.1

Mail Servers ('MX' Records):

• Domain: example.com
  • Server: example.com

Aliases ('CNAME' Records):

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:21 pm (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

that is my server ip address? i hv try to put this address at "ip address" b4. but the domain unable to point to my directory. or i give u my account password u help me set? thankx a lot.
adam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:41 pm (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, that is the correct IP address. After setting that in ZoneEdit, it will take a few hours (perhaps up to a day) before the site is visible.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:57 pm (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

after set this ip at "IP Address", what is is next step to do?
adam

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:02 pm (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Other than setting it up like I outlined before, there shouldn't be anything else you need to do.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:17 pm (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

is it correct?

how about the name server part at zone edit control panel?
adam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:49 pm (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That should all work fine.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:22 pm (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

this method can avoid ppl from checking my nameserver?
really thanks a lot for helping me.
adam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:47 am (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

What do you mean by 'checking' your nameserver?

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:28 am (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

each domain have a server/hosting right? so we can search user database through whois database such as www.whois.net. by this we can get domain information include nameserver. from the nameserver we can know which server/hosting are domain using right? so if we use zoneedit, from the whois database we cant get know which hosting are domain using right. so with this we can hide our hosting from other searching our damain database.
adam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:36 pm (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ah, I see. Yes, people who look up which namesevers you're using will only see that you're using ZoneEdit and won't be able to see your host's nameserver details.

However, there's no way to stop people knowing where your site is hosted since they can always check the ownership of the IP address. For example:

Code:
adam@phoenix:~$ host 209.85.42.88
88.42.85.209.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer ev1s-209-85-42-88.ev1servers.net.
adam@phoenix:~$ whois !$
whois 209.85.42.88
Everyones Internet EVRY-BLK-15 (NET-209-85-0-0-1)
                                  209.85.0.0 - 209.85.127.255
X1Services.com EVRY-561 (NET-209-85-42-0-1)
                                  209.85.42.0 - 209.85.42.255

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2006-10-18 19:10
# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

So I can see that your site is on a server in EV1's datacenter. Checking the mail server running on that IP I can also see that the server identifies itself as "host.ruletheworld.us", so it's a good bet that they're hosting your site.

Why exactly are you trying to hide the name of the web hosting company you're using?

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:00 pm (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

??? why your checking of my site different from the hosting company that i use? my name server is from pinnacle-solution.com and my hosting company is from pinnacle solution. but what the result u show are different from mine?
adam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:19 pm (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That's interesting. Their site is a slightly different IP address to yours, but that server also identifies itself as "host.ruletheworld.us":

Quote:
adam@phoenix:~$ telnet pinnacle-solution.com 25
Trying 209.85.42.164...
Connected to pinnacle-solution.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220-host.ruletheworld.us ESMTP Exim 4.52 #1 Thu, 19 Oct 2006 14:07:25 -0400
220-We do not authorize the use of this system to transport unsolicited,
220 and/or bulk e-mail.

My guess would be either that their server is misidentifying itself (I'm not sure how that could happen), or Pinnacle Solution could be a reseller.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:25 am (17 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

oh thanks u. may i know how do u check this?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next