4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

PHP Website
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
KuRuPt
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:40 pm (18 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I am interested in buying a website. but do not have a clue about PHP or mysql, is it a good idea to buy the website and then learn as i go along? or is it best if i first familiarise myself with things like php or mysql before i do this. please advise.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by KuRuPtSend Personal MessageSend email
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 7:33 pm (18 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

In my opinion the best way to learn is to just dive in, so it's probably not a bad idea to go ahead and start your web site.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 9:56 am (18 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

thanks adam. ok i have now purchased the website, but there is so many things i need to do and i dont have a clue of where to start. like i need to firstly place a banner at the top of my website to say real mafia coz there is none at the moment, then pages on my website has another name, so how do i remove that and add my own?
also there is a link to another website on my game, how do i remove it?
some help would be greatly appreciated, because when i said i dont have a clue i meant it.
www.realmafia.com
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by KuRuPtSend Personal MessageSend email
adam

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:41 am (18 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

As you said, there's a lot to do and learn so the best thing to do from here is to just pick one thing at a time and concentrate on that. It might help to make a prioritised list of everything you've got to do.

You mentioned the banner for the site, so I'll use that as an example. The first thing to do is obviously to make the image. I think everyone would agree that Adobe Photoshop is the best application for the task, but it is prohibitively expensive so unless you plan to do a lot of fancy graphics-related stuff you might be better off with a free application such as the Gimp.

After you've made your banner, you need to actually add it to your site. So how do you do that? If the site has some kind of template system for the pages, you need to find the relevant template file and add the appropriate HTML to add the image to the page. If there isn't a template system in place, then you'll probably just have to edit each page individually.

Depending on how the site is built you might have to learn some PHP in order to figure out where to add the code for the image. For that, you'll probably want to read the first few chapters of the PHP Manual.

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask Smile

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:01 pm (18 years, 11 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

someone was on my website but they were able to do everything i am able to do. how is it possible that they could do that? do i need to change my password or something or what do i need to do to prevent that from happening again>
adam

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:34 pm (18 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Without knowing anything about the CMS your site's using it's difficult to say how they did it. My advice is to change your password, check for any other accounts with admin-level access and also make sure that you're using the latest versions of everything.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: