4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Free hosts, but requiring getting your own domainname?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
yapp
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 1:38 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yep, does anyone know such a host? I'm willing to pay for the name, but not for the hosting/space...
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by yappSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 3:14 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Portland Very Happy
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Gandalf
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 5:31 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

yapp wrote:
Yep, does anyone know such a host? I'm willing to pay for the name, but not for the hosting/space...

Then why not use domain redirection? http://www.mydomains.com offers excellent free (ad-free, spam-free, etc.) domain redirection and e-mail redirection. Just set up a hosting at a free provider under any subdomain or subdirectory you'd like, and redirect your visitors there. It can even be done stealthily. I use it too (I have two domains - one hosted, the other redirected to a subdirectory of the hosted one).

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2002 7:25 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Portland's not bad for the odd few pages or the odd few files, I'm going to be offering a VISP through them soon!
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
yapp
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 9:21 am (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well, I'm asking this because I've heared there are some free hosts out there that have only one requirement: You need to have a domainname. I'm willing to pay for the name however. (and theirby also have the rights/control over it.) Currently, my situation is very uncertain, and maybe I have to move later again... So does anyone know such host?

I'll definitely look at that domain cloaking website! It sounds great! DO you happen to know if that is a real clock (and not a frameset, like www.dot.tk) I also want visitors to enter that domain using a full url (includes a dir/file.), like www.mydomain.com/vb/win32api
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by yappSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Gandalf
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 10:45 am (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

yapp wrote:

Well, I'm asking this because I've heared there are some free hosts out there that have only one requirement: You need to have a domainname. I'm willing to pay for the name however. (and theirby also have the rights/control over it.) Currently, my situation is very uncertain, and maybe I have to move later again... So does anyone know such host?

Well, http://www.doteasy.com offers this sort of thing. I nearly forgot them. I'm not sure about domain transfers, but check them out. They don't offer PHP or MySQL yet, though.

yapp wrote:

I'll definitely look at that domain cloaking website! It sounds great! DO you happen to know if that is a real clock (and not a frameset, like www.dot.tk) I also want visitors to enter that domain using a full url (includes a dir/file.), like www.mydomain.com/vb/win32api

Uhm, what's your definition of a "real cloak"? I have my redirection with a frameset, but they offer two other kinds of redirection which I haven't tried yet. They claim to have some sort of subdirectory redirection, though it doesn't work with the frameset redirection. They do offer all the subdomains you'd care to have, and, if you have basic PHP skills you can code a redirection based on the visitors' entry url.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:40 pm (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

www.getdotted.com will give you free hosting with www.freeola.com who offer PHP and CGI etc but not MySQL. Smile

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:31 am (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Gandalf wrote:
1 Uhm, what's your definition of a "real cloak"? .. 2They claim to have some sort of subdirectory redirection, though it doesn't work with the frameset redirection. ... 3if you have basic PHP skills you can code a redirection based on the visitors' entry url.

1: Well, something that f2s.com does. dot.tk doesn't accept it as forwarding URL, but visitors don't see the difference.
2: One of the requirements to make it look like a "real cloak"
3: Also in Perl I guess. You properly simple mean printing a "302 Location Moved" HTTP header, and using regexps to extract/convert the URL to the right location+path..
Gandalf
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 9:41 am (22 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

yapp wrote:
1: Well, something that f2s.com does. dot.tk doesn't accept it as forwarding URL, but visitors don't see the difference.

As far as I know, no. It's remote redirection, not server-based like on F2S (in the sense that the redirection is to an off-site url), and perhaps that's the reason why they can't accomplish such a level of transparency.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: