4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Possible to retrieve form data without submitting?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Stuart
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 5:58 pm (19 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I would like to construct a URL with attached form variables so that I can pass form variables to the next page without using the Submit button.

This all has to do with the use of CSS to create mouseover buttons. Surrounding the Submit button with an empty hyperlink tag lets me use the pseudo class a:hover to switch images and I can make the actual Submit button invisible.

This works fine in IE, but not in Netscape or Mozilla, both of which ignore the Submit button's action in favour of the blank URL surrounding it!

Therefore I want to eliminate the need for the 'built-in' Submit button and create my own version with mouseover graphics.

So, after all that, how can I capture the value from a Select box within that page and without reloading the page? Is it possible with PHP alone as I'm not keen to rely on Javascript?

Thanks.

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:01 pm (19 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

You would almost certainly need to use Javascript, as to use PHP the data would first need to be submitted. I'm not an expert on this, but I found these on Google:

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:21 pm (19 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Many thanks, Adam. Today (with the benefit of having slept!) I realised the impossibility of what I was asking. I was resigned to having to use Javascript but now you have given me an alternative as for my application I won't have reset buttons! Very Happy

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: