4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

IP address to domain name
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
guyrollz
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:06 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just wondering how I can get my home server IP address, lets say 64.23.19.119 to like CheeseIsCool.com or CheeseIsCool.MySite.com. Im running XP Home on my home server, what program might I need.

As of now I have the following running on my server.
-Apache
-PHP
-PHPMyAdmin
-SQL
-FTP Prog
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by guyrollzSend Personal Message
NHDriver4
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:39 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If you want cheeseiscool.com, you would need to buy that domain through a registrar, like Network Solutions.

I would recomend visting The DNS2GO website. I've used their service for almost 2 years now, and never have issues. There is a small price, but well worth it.

Also, FYI: Most home broadband companies do not allow servers to be on their networks. Check the terms before, or your connection could be shut off.

Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:58 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

http://www.dyndns.org/ is my personal favourite Smile

And I wouldn't recommend registering a domain name with Network Solutions anymore: they charge $35/year, while there are many companies doing it for $9-10. Try http://www.namecheap.com or http://www.godaddy.com/.

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:48 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I personally use Registerfly and ZoneEdit

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:43 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

My ISP doesnt care if I have it, but would I just put my IP as the nameserver or would I need something to change that?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by guyrollzSend Personal Message
NHDriver4
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:04 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If you use one of the DNS services like ZoneEdit or DynDNS, they will instruct you where to point your namesever. Dont put your IP in there unless you are running a DNS server.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: