4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

General Opinion
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Infernus
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:09 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

--removed--

Last edited by Infernus on Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by InfernusSend Personal Message
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:57 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'll be completely honest, that's nowhere near fast enough for a server - your site's kind of slow loading as it is, it'll be terrible if several people are using it at once.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:31 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

--removed--

adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:36 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm not sure about getting a leased line...but it would almost certainly be easier to just rent a dedicated server

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:56 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

and cheaper, I would think Smile (I guess if you live in a very dense business area it might not be, but I doubt you do)

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:03 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

--removed--

Infernus
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:05 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

--removed--

Last edited by Infernus on Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:11 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Regarding your age: the problem is that any contract you enter into is not legally binding because you're under 18. Also I take it you go to school - if so, what do you do if the server goes down when you're at school? What happens if you have a hardware crash - you've got no hardware to replace (and no cash to replace it with)? What happens if your internet connection goes down?

These are but a few of the questions which you're going to have trouble with...

[Never mind the fact that getting hosting clients is certainly far from easy, with the hosting market saturated as it is right now.]

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:35 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

--removed--

Last edited by Infernus on Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total
Infernus
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:35 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

--removed--

Last edited by Infernus on Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:40 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

How can I tell you why it's saturated? Smile My guess is simply that working in the hosting industry is nice because you get to choose your hours and work from home Smile.

As to your price: I think you're offering way too much space for quite a high price. There aren't many people who need that much space.

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:29 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Infernus wrote:
Im not hosting the site! Its just a slow loading portal!
The site is on PlusNet server.

I would never host anything on plusnet, a company that had their CGI/PHP server listed as red on the service status for 45 days because it was unreliable says it all.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Infernus
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:39 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

--removed--

Last edited by Infernus on Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:41 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It may be back up, but in the 45 days it was down they didn't seem to have a clue of what they were doing in order to fix it, and any reputable host should always make sure that their site is hosted on a reliable and fast connection, it creates a good first impression to your prospective customers.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
jrHOSTING
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:16 am (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I tried running a few sites at home on a computer a few years ago (Got a dedicated server right now).

It was on a 512k connection, it ran OK for a while but then I let a few other people run their forums off my connection and it felt like I was on a 56k connection again.

Oh, desktop computers aren't really designed for hosting...I won't go into the advanced server terminology here as you probably won't understand a lot of it..BTW if you're running this 'server' on your home PC I would just give up now Wink.

And £7.99? To be honest your max price will probably be £0, simply because you are not providing 'proper' hosting services (i.e a home broadband connection, no Cpanel, Windows XP(?)). Oh, and you are possibly breaking your ISPs AUP (Depends on the ISP).
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jrHOSTINGSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteAOL Instant MessengerMSN Messenger
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next