4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Best way to deliver an MPG movie on a PC?
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:05 pm (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I need some advice on the best way to deliver an MPG movie to a windows user.

This is what I have so far:
http://www.seh-uk.com/attractinginvestment.html

Whilst it works perfectly on my Mac it doesn't work properly on my PC Win 98 using IE 6 and REAL Player installed.

Is there a better way to do it? I just don't know enough about how PCs handle movieclips!!

Any help much appreciated Very Happy
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
GXEman
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:22 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I've never added a video clip to a site like that. But looking around I came across a link from Macromedia. They show a lot of parameters that should give you whatever level of control you're after.

Hope it helps
http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/documents/mediaplayer.htm

Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:54 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It works fine here streaming nicely via F2S ADSL and Windows Media Player 9.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:32 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks GXEman, I will set up a test page to see if that works better for my client.

Justin, good to know it works for some people on Windows. The trouble the client had was that they only got the sound track. I tried on my Win 98 PC and got the same thing. I guess a lot depends on what kind of set up you have.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:14 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

This is the method described on that Macromedia tutorial:
http://www.seh-uk.com/attractinginvestment_wmp.html

Does it work for anyone?
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:46 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

the first one you posted kinda works for me (gxine with firefox on linux), though it only plays five seconds at a time before buffering again - maybe you should lower the quality of the mpeg.

the second one you posted just kills gxine Rolling Eyes

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:49 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Your first link didnt work for me. I just saw a black box in the width and height you specified in your source.

The second link worked, but like adam said, the lack of buffering was a problem.

*Edit- I'm using Win XP pro, IE6, on a cable modem if tha helps.

Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:02 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Both work for me.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 5:39 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks for the info everyone. It seems the second option is the way to go, the client was happy with that also.

I didn't create the MPG so I don't (as far as I know) have any way to reduce the quality. But I'm not really to worried about the speed, if buffering is a problem people will just have to pause it while it loads. just so long as it works.
adam

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:20 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

urm...the second one doesn't work here Razz

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 6:24 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Link to both to keep everyone happy? Smile

Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:33 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Unfortunately Adam, on this occaision I'm only really concerned with Windows compatibility.

I actually already have 2 links, the other goes direct to the Mpeg which just launches quicktime for me.
adam

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 3:34 pm (19 years, 12 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Darren wrote:
Unfortunately Adam, on this occaision I'm only really concerned with Windows compatibility.

Razz fine then

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: