4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Need your feedback
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
jijilehto
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:40 pm (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I am planning to use MochaHost for the hosting and the development of my oscommerce site – I’ve been recommended by a friend of mine but want to hear more feedback from someone that have experience with them. any suggestions??
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jijilehtoSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:55 pm (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

They have been banned from WebHostingTalk - not sure that's a good sign, although it's not necessarily bad.

Also they are totally unheard of - no mention on WHT, so I wouldn't go with them.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:52 pm (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

how come they are banned? where can I read about this? what do yo suggest I should use for oscommerce?
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:15 am (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Any host which supports PHP will do, which means basically any host Smile. However you should choose carefully - you might want to read this: http://www.4webhelp.net/tutorials/misc/choose_host.php

As to the reason why they were banned from WHT, you'll never know unless you ask them - WHT won't tell you for privacy reasons.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:30 pm (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for providing the link I found it really useful. I follow your advise and e-mailed them last night around 10pm. I got an e-mail back in about 20-30 minutes with answers which I think are reasonable.

I am going to sign with them (they have 30 days money back) and will share my experience with you guys - so far looking good.

What I actually liked was that they were able to send me testimonials from companies that have "real" websites. Since I am in the consulting business I think that providing testimonials or some sort of references was really important. Perhaps you can add this to your checklist?

Thanks!
jijilehto
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:39 pm (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I only just looked at their website, and I have to say they don't look too professional...

One thing you have to realise is that there are hundreds of hosts out there, and just because they answer your emails quickly doesn't mean they'll be reliable, will be in business for a long time (a lot don't last over a year), etc...

Did you do a little checking to make sure the testimonials were real (and not invented/stolen from another host)?

Anyway, all I think is that it's a much safer bet to go with an established company which has a good reputation.

But then it's your choice Smile

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:35 pm (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi Daniel,

Well, I did research on a lot of the companies that are running these fancy ads and I can say that unfortunately the feedback that I get is very very mixed. With the big guys it seems that you are just a number not a real client. Do you have any recommendations for a REAL good company?

How do you go about verifying references?? I was provided with links of well established companies in the San Francisco Bay Area that had their logo on their sites I dobut this canl be phony???

jijilehto
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:54 pm (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well unless the company websites are phony, then I guess the testimonials are true.

I'm not saying this company is bad - I just don't know Smile.

You're right about a lot of the big companies: many of them don't have good reputations. That's why I generally go for the medium companies: not too new, with a good reputation.

My current hosts are CredibleHost, EcpHosting, and 34SP, however they may not be suitable for the site you wish to host (budget, reliability needed, etc...).

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 10:04 pm (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

OT, but you have three hosts? I'm guessing it'd take a reasonably large disaster to take your sites offline Laughing

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:19 am (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Adam, I don't have three hosts for the same site Wink

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:31 am (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I know, I know Razz but surely in an emergency, you could move one site to another server to keep it online

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:41 pm (20 years ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That's too much bother. I hope my current hosts are good enough that I won't have extended downtime which would force me to do such a thing (although I have done it before). Also since my sites increasingly rely on databases it all makes it that much more difficult.

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: