4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

AOL SMTP
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 2:08 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Does AOL have an SMTP server for use when setting up a non-AOL pop3 account?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:00 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

No, they don't. In fact they might even block access to any SMTP server... (some ISPs do that, and it wouldn't surprise me if AOL did)

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 5:37 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

thats nice of them.

and presumably you can't set up their own email system (is it a seperate program or web based? sorry I'm totally unfamiliar with AOL) to send and receive a third party pop3 account.

I guess the person I was trying to help won't be able to send emails from anything other than their aol account then.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:05 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

AOL uses its own proprietary program for email (all integrated into the AOL interface - good for newbies). However, you cannot access your AOL mail from using any method other than the following:
- AOL interface
- AOL webmail

So if you want to send emails without going through the AOL interface, you'll have to use a webmail script.

Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 10:43 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That's not exactly true: from the Netscape web browser you can access AOL mail

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 6:38 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Are you talking about webmail, Peter?

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:32 am (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

No

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:56 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

So how would you go about accessing AOL mail through Netscape without using webmail? I don't think AOL have a POP server...

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:00 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
So how would you go about accessing AOL mail through Netscape without using webmail? I don't think AOL have a POP server...

AOL own Netscape, and when you install Netscape, it asks you for a Netscape Screen Name or to create on yes? This is the same as an AOL Screen Name, if you used later versions of Netscape, you would notice it came with AOL Support, inbuilt AIM features, and an option to sign up to AOL.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:02 pm (21 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ah, yes, I see. I've only used that for an AIM account. I didn't know you could also access your email from it.

Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:04 am (20 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Darren wrote:
Does AOL have an SMTP server for use when setting up a non-AOL pop3 account?

What happens when you don't have an AOL screen name and password to use because you're sharing the internet connection with the AOL user? I've just downloaded Netscape 7.1 and it's mail program refuses to send, just like every other third party email program I've used.

Webmail utterly blows chunks! I can't stand discovering an error message saying my email account logged out while typing out two pages Evil or Very Mad
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by HighfiveSend Personal Message
carolblake1975
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:49 pm (20 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think AOL have really cracked on all this. Netscape users may just be able to squeeze a loophole somewhere for before AOL bought them out, but I would say that for ordinary AOL users it's a dead issue. That's what happens when you buy from Satan's minions. Twisted Evil

USB phone / baby monitor
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by carolblake1975Send Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
I, Brian
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:18 pm (20 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

AOL don't even allow a lot of double opt-in mail these days - so scrub those AOL users from your newsletters as they probably won't ever see them. Sad

OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by I, BrianSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: