4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

A parse error on line 56
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
johnpend
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:59 pm (20 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I have a site that is mostly PHP, but some of the pages don't load.

It reports a parse error on line 56, but give no further details.

<?php
$n = $HTTP_GET_VARS[ "n" ];

$mysql = mysql_connect( $hostname, $dbusername, $dbpasswd);
mysql_select_db( $databasename, $mysql );

$sql = "SELECT * FROM tblDictionary where DicStart = '" . 1D . "' order by DicName ASC";
?>

I'm quite new at PHP and woefully inadequate at figuring this out on my own.

Any assistance will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance!

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:12 pm (20 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

What is on line 56 of said file? Wink

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 8:22 pm (20 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

johnpend wrote:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM tblDictionary where DicStart = '" . 1D . "' order by DicName ASC";

You need to have a variable in the ". xx ." part to $iD would work but if you just want to use the string $1D you should use :

Code:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM tblDictionary where DicStart = '1D' order by DicName ASC";

OR if it is a variable then:

Code:

$sql = "SELECT * FROM tblDictionary where DicStart = '". $1D ."' order by DicName ASC";

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:52 pm (20 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Smile
Thanks loads folks!

Line 56 is:

what puzzles me is that it occurs when a 404 occurs.

The site is a medical dictionary. this occours when browsing by alphabet. For example, if you click on "27", you get a page listing links to several interior pages, each containing a definition of a word that begins with the numerals 27. If you click on "2H", you get the message "Parse error: parse error in /home/httpd/books.md/html/2/2H.php on line 56" and there are in fact, no pages for anything beginning with "2H".

thanks again for the responses! I hope this info will help you further in sleuthing this out!

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: