4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Protecting Images
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:07 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

it is impossible to 'protect' content in this way online, as it should be. after all, this is supposed to be a medium that allows a free flow of ideas and information. my advice is, if you don't want people to take it then don't put it online.

the fact is, if it can be read it can be duplicated and modified.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:14 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It sounds stupid that you can't even place something on the internet without the fear that somebody can steal it. It takes days to create logo's and that kind of stuff. Confused
But you're right, it's impossible to protect your images.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by phryxusSend Personal Message
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:56 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Quote:

Yes that's right, maybe there is a way to block it without that damn alert. That would make a lot of things better.
Code:
<script language="JavaScript">
<!--
function keypressed ()  { ; }
document.onkeydown=keypressed;
-->
</script>

But the point is. what happens when I disable JavaScript in browser. Keyboard still works.
right click an image and save. ok said u also block right click. but what file > save page. all files will automatically get saved in some folder :p

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
phryxus
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:19 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

This script is really better then my script. Razz
adam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 6:36 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

you can also left click and drag an image to the address bar in most browsers Smile and you can view source and get the URL for the image, then save that.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:43 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ah, I've totally forgot that. Embarassed
It's imposible to block the left-mouse button. Wink
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:26 am (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

you can block drag of left mouse button though, using a similar script.

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
adam

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:13 am (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

and again, you can disable javascript to get around it - also, would such scripts work in mozilla? I have my doubts Smile

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 5:28 am (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

thats really great share man.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vijayonlineSend Personal MessageSend email
tyjtyj
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:16 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Javascript wont help protecting the images.
you can simply view source if to get the exact url...
or save page as state earlier...

Now my question is how to remove a watermark
can be remove in 15min

i actually want to read the water mark.
i can hardly read the water mark cause i wanna know who is the author..

adam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:03 pm (19 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If I understand correctly, you want to isolate the watermark so you can read it? You could try adjusting the contrast or something to make it more visible, though I'm not sure how effective that would be.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:17 pm (19 years, 8 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Read this article
http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/protectimages.shtml
As for me i use transparent gif's placed over my images , so rightclickers will not steal them.
You can also make a roll-over same picture with your author's signature, for example with some big-and-ugly fontwrited text that it's only for web.
But the best thing i think is php-code + digital signature on your image.

btw. it's easy to view all pictures on the website with plugin in MyIE browser Smile

Regards!

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:31 am (19 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Very informative answers all!

Unfortunately a "crack" has been found for the "no right click" code - I don't know how long its been around just saw it a couple of weeks ago.

I also have one of those "invisible" images over an image of mine but even if that is "cracked" the main part is so blurred anyway.

Watermarking - the water mark can be removed by those determined to do so. I have read posts from web/graphic designers who have talked about how their customers (or others) will take their graphic and remove the watermark just to avoid paying for the work.

If you want to remove a watermark that you have done then it depends on how you put the watermark on the picture in the first place. It has to do with layers. I don't have Photoshop, I have Paint Shop Pro and if I do the graphic by "procedure" then it just takes one or two clicks to remove the watermark. Rolling Eyes

Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 11:47 am (19 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The no right click code has never really worked for anyone except those who might be tempted to copy the image but are not determined. There are myriads of ways for anyone who is bothered to copy images even with a no right click script.

The "crack" you are referring to may just be a browser modification which disables "no right click" scripts. I know one of these exists for Mozilla Firefox.

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:34 pm (19 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If you placed the jpg into a flash swf and locked it, would this not protect the swf file and thus the jpg?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by domukSend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next