4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

see if you understand it without any explanation
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
domuk
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:51 am (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi all,

I was wondering if you would look at a site that I have just finished and see if you understand it without any explanation.

The popup ads sometimes cause the site not to auto load and maximise the second screen. If anyone can help me get rid of that than I would appreciate it.

None Electronics people should be able to understand the power cost section.

Thanks in advance,

Dominic.

http://dominictheaker.t35.com
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by domukSend Personal Message
phryxus
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 12:22 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It looks nice, but why using pop-ups at all?? Arrow It's not making the website easier to use...
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by phryxusSend Personal Message
domuk
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:11 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks,

I am using pop ups to enable me to have all the three screens up at once and so you can interact between the different parts. (what do you think would make it easier as apposed to pop ups?)

Did you understand how to use it?

Regards,

Dom..
SfCommand
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:36 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

TBH, I won't bother going now I know it uses pop-ups. I block pop-ups to 99.9% of sites. So you may weant to consider a slightly different approach Smile

http://community.34sp.com
http://www.miguel.me.uk | http://www.sfcommand.co.uk | http://www.ssdg.org.uk
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by SfCommandSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
domuk
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:39 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi all,

I am not sure if we are talking about the same things. There are two forms of pop ups on my site:

1) Ads (as it is a free host)

2) When you load the page it creates a new window , maximises it and loads the menu page into it (to hide the adds behind the maximised screen)

3) following the menu page when you select one of the three options the program creates a new window (approx. 800x600) with what you have selected and places it in the middle of the screen. It looks like a popup if you have your VDU set to 1024x768.

I am thinking of paying for hosting then the only pop ups would be following an action from the user. What do you all think about the different levels of popup?

Also do people understand how to use the site?

What do people think about the code?

Has anyone any advice on cheep (no add) Hosting?

Your comments are very much appreciated,

Thanks,

Dom.
phryxus
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:08 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I understand everything without explanation! Wink
-----
Quote:

What do you think would make it easier as apposed to pop ups?

I prefer using a navigation menu. You can bring the 3 subs ('Ohm's Law' + 'Potential Divider' + 'Power Cost') to one window! Just like every other website has.
domuk
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:51 am (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi phryxus,

Do you mean with frames?

What if you are using the 'Ohm's Law' & 'Potential Divider' within seconds of each other and you want to retain the values that you have just calculated without having to save and reload them? Also you may not want to reload into the browser every time you swap between applications.

Are people in general apposed to the use of floating windows?

can you give me an example of a site structure that you think would suit this application.

I am glad that you understand “everything on the site” as I showed my brother it and he didn’t have a clue what it was about. He is an artist though and not at all technical.

I apriaciate your comments,

Thanks,

Dom.
phryxus
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:10 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I see your problem. But most of the guys will close the pop-up windows directly. At my own website I create lay-outs with tables to be sure that that won't happen. Frames can be a sollution. But than you have to think good about your navigation to be sure it won't become to stressfull.

And about that understanding -> I think that's because of me, I've had Ohm's Law on school not to long ago. Maybe you need to make a poll for this. Wink

GRTZ,
Phryxus
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:48 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think the fact that they are like seperate tools makes it quite acceptable that they are in floating windows. Kind of defines them as seperate applications. I have a little pop-up glossary on my own site- I went for the pop-up as it will be handy to have access to whilst browsing the content on the actual site.

The pop-up ads didn't bother me, Safari blocked them.

Personally I don't like sites that open up a full screen window, I like to be in control of how big my browser window should be!! Wink
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
domuk
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:18 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks Darren and Phryxus,

I have just changed the site to stop it from auto loading the second page.

I designed it to be like separate applications (as you suggested Darren) I didn’t want frames and I wanted the applications to be open together with the info window being like a notepad of results (save you keeping track with a pen and paper when doing electronic designs).

I intend to do more pages that None Electronic people should understand (however the power cost calculator should be widely understood).

1) I am not sure why I get “error on page” in the very bottom bar. I have tried to hide them but if you resize the page it displays the error again.. Can you spot why?

2) how can I block the popup adds (apart from paying for hosting?) You mention Safari. What is Safari?

3) The main intention of the site is to demonstrate to possible employers my website abilities. I have learnt from scratch (what you see) in approx 4 months on and off (I have other sites but mainly html and ripped off Javascript) This 95% my own code (I adapted the cookie stuff from a working program).

4) I am in the process of learning about server side coding at the moment and want to ask what is the best server side language to learn to enhance my job prospects?

5)Do you think this code is complicated enough to land me a job writing code?

6)What else do I need to learn to enhance my prospects PHP, Perl, SQL, Flash + javascript ?

Any advice is welcome,

Thanks,

Dom
phryxus
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:30 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think the best server side coding is PHP. But that it for everybody different. Basic PHP isn't really hard to learn. But the problems start with mysql. Flash is a program for designers. If you learn that you must be interested in webdesign. And I can't tell you what is better: Perl or PHP, because I doesn't know perl. Wink

GRTZ,
Phryxus
domuk
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:14 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

thanks GRTZ,

I think i shall go with PHP for now and maybe Perl later,

Thanks for your help,

Dom.
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:57 am (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

domuk wrote:
2) how can I block the popup adds (apart from paying for hosting?) You mention Safari. What is Safari?

Safari is Apple's web browser for Mac OS X - Mozilla Firebird also has the option in fact its more advanced than Safari as you can allow pop-ups to work on certain sites. I'm guessing Mozilla lets you block them too... any others?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: