4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Perl script to php
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
kepler
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:51 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Dear friends,

I've got an application in Perl - an Atlas finder to be exact - with a database of 5.6 million places: this gives a text database of 250 MB ( more or less ). First there was a problem because in the application I was loading the entire database: this gave problems to the server - it occupied 4 processors and the entire memory when several users tried to access them. Now I reduce the problem of the memory - the program reads one line at the time - but the application consumes 95% of one processor. They told me that the best solution was to make the application in PHP and the database in MySQL or Access - is this true?. The problem is that I don't understand nothing about PhP, and even less of MySqL.

Could someone help me transcript the perl routines to PHP, and help me converting the text database to MySQL? Or, just the convertion to php solves the problem?

This is kind of urgent - the website has a lot of visitors looking for this application.

Best regards,

Kepler
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by keplerSend Personal Message
kepler
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 9:21 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Dear friends,

I was looking trough a php sites, and the language is not so hard as it seems.

But there's an expression in perl that I don't know to tranlate into php:

$str =~ s![^\w\d]!!g;

and

if ($str =~ /anything/gi){
etc...

Does anyone knows how?

Best regards,

Kepler
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by keplerSend Personal Message
eKstreme
Ex Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 3:42 am (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

kepler wrote:
Dear friends,

I was looking trough a php sites, and the language is not so hard as it seems.

But there's an expression in perl that I don't know to tranlate into php:

$str =~ s![^\w\d]!!g;

and

if ($str =~ /anything/gi){
etc...

Does anyone knows how?

Best regards,

Kepler

Hi,

What you are looking at are Perl's way of regular expression substitutions and matching... so lookup preg_replace for the first expression and preg_match for the second one.

If you need help with the regular expresssions, please post back here.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by eKstremeSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: