4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

BT SMTP Server Address
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
lizardman
Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:29 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Does any body know the correct smpt address to send email from OE on BT broadband.
I have a lineone account which i have to access via a dial up connection once every 3 months to keep my account active but because i do not have a premium account with BT they will not tell me the smtp address. Previously it worked as someone gave me the address, but since reformatting my hard drive i lost this info!!! Can anyone please help?
Thanks in advance
Lizardman
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by lizardmanSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:04 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just a guess, but is it by any chance mail.btopenworld.com or smtp.lineone.net?

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:24 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hiya,

If you use BT Broadband you don't get any SMTP Server included, you have to remember that it's a No Frills service, if you wanted these features you would need to pay for them.

Cheers

Justin
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
lizardman
Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:02 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks Daniel, mail.btopenworld seems to have sorted things out Very Happy
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:41 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thats very interesting, are you a BT Broadband or a BT Openworld customer? Just under a law passed last year all divisions of BT were supposed to act as seperate companies to prevent illegal monopolies and anti-competitve behaviour. Openworld and Broadband are seperate companies.

If one division of BT was providing services to directly help another division of it which could put it in a position that means it is trying to give itself an unfair advantage over competiting companies, it would be liable for legal action in the same way Microsoft is.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
lizardman
Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:01 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi Justin,
I am actually a BT Broadband customer and have never been a customer of BT Openworld.
I'm not even sure if these were the original settings i used before i formatted my HD, but it seems to be working fine.
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:04 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah, thats why I am worries, BT Openworld and Broadband are run by two seperate arms of BT, which are supposed to not have anything to do with each other as a court demanded, but interestingly they seem to be helping each other out.
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:47 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Or BT broadband was uses IP's that were used by openwoe and they are still in the allowed list for the smtp servers. Either way who cares Very Happy

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Paveway
Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:45 am (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi Folks. I'm new to this Forum. My computing knowledge is a little 'rusty' (I got an 'O' level in it in 1980!) so I hope you'll bear with me.

I've just gone to BT Broadband and had the same trouble as Lizardman. I'm sure the answer is staring me in the face here but could someone please lead me through the steps I need to take to insert the BT Openworld address into my Outlook Express account because I just can't get it to go in. It's me, not the address I'm sure.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Joe.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by PavewaySend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:12 am (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If mail.btopenworld.com is indeed the address you're supposed to use, try this:

- Open OE
- Open Tools Arrow Accounts
- Open the Mail tab
- Select the mail account you wish to modify
- Click Properties
- Open the Servers tab
- Enter "mail.btopenworld.com" in the "Outgoing mail (SMTP)" field

Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:24 am (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Many thanks for that. The problem I'm having is that where I want to enter the 'mailto.btopenworld.com' into my 'outgoing mail smtp' field, this is greyed out with 'smpt.freeserve.com' in there and I can't seem to access it to change it.

Sorry if I'm being stupid. Any advice would again be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe.
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:27 am (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

OK, then you'll have to create a new account then. Follow the instructions up till "Select the mail account you wish to modify", and then click Add Arrow Mail. The setup wizard should take it from there Smile

Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:20 am (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thanks again. I'll give this a try and let you know how it goes.

Best Wishes,

Joe.
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:57 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi Paveway,

Did it work? Smile

Daniel

Invisible Member
Invisible Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 6:37 am (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi,

Sorry I've not been back. I don't get to use my PC that often.

No, I'm afraid it didn't do the trick. I suspect it may be my inexperience using the wizard though. Despite it being apparently easy, I still don't seem to be getting the right outgoing smtp server.

Even setting the new account as the default, I still end up with Freeserve as the outgoing smtp name, or with the PC unable to connect to the server. Maybe it simply doesn't work if you've never used BT Openworld as the server before.

I'm wondering whether to use the 14 day rejection period for the BT Broadband and go over to Freeserve for an extra 99 pence per month.
I assume it will then work okay.

I'm also hoping a friend who is somewhat more PC than me literate will call in over the next few days and get me sorted. The strange thing is Freeserve told me I could continue to use their server as long as I logged in to them once every 90 days.

I'd better call them again.

Thanks again,

Joe.
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next