4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Hide/show elements
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:59 am (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I've been experimenting with some Javascript these past few days, which enables you to hide/show certain elements which you may not want to see. The script remembers (or at least should!) what you last did: if you open the navigation menu, it will stay open the next time you load the page. If you close it again, it will stay closed. And so on... Smile

However since I'm no expert on Javascript, there may be some problems (if the script does not work in NS4, that's not a problem Wink), so please post in this thread if you encounter any.

Areas where this script has been used:
- Quick Reply
- Navigation Menu
- Who's Online/Board Information
- Forum Index Categories

Edit: I added an access key to the menu (M). Depending on your browser you should be able to hide/show it using Alt+M.

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:51 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The only problem I see when having the nav menu open is the table width on some pages - when viewing most pages, everything is resized nicely, but the table containing posts in threads isn't; it's just wider than the browser window. It should be noted that I don't have the browser window at my full screen width (I have monitors, etc. running down the right hand side that I need to see), the browser is currently at about 930px wide.

Edit: also, whats the accesskey to show/hide quick reply?

Edit2: just realised the cause of the problem are the little button images at the bottom of your post (www, msn, etc.) - they don't wrap.

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:08 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

If your browser supports the <wbr> tag (word break - allows a break where the browser would not normally ever put one, in this case in a line with no spaces in it), you should not have scrollbars anymore.

There is no accesskey for quick reply; do you think one is needed?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:48 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

that fixed the scrolling issue Smile

I do think an accesskey for quick reply would be useful, as that would be one less think I'd need to do with the mouse

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 1:51 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thing is you still wouldn't be able to open the quick reply area and move to the textarea in one shortcut. I could have one shortcut to show/hide the area, and then one to move to the textarea. But then who needs the first shortcut? (if you use quick reply, keep it open!) That's why I think only the second is needed Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:04 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

ok, so whats the shortcut to move to the text area? (other than pressing tab many, many times)

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:08 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

From now on it'll be Q Smile

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:34 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

brilliant Very Happy

edit: just one more request Smile can you make an accesskey for the link back to the forum index??

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:40 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Forum Index accesskey: I Smile.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 5:54 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Very Happy Ok, I'm happy now

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:26 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

what are index acess keys? i`v never heard of them lol

also do you need to press something along with g? because when i press g nothing happens
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by thorSend Personal Message
adam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 2:13 am (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel meant the accesskey for the forum index, not an index accesskey for the forum Smile

press alt+key (so alt+i, alt+q, alt+m, etc) - g isn't set as the accesskey for anything Wink

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:14 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel, perhaps you could make a page listing what the accesskeys are, and also perhaps how to use them?

http://community.34sp.com
http://www.miguel.me.uk | http://www.sfcommand.co.uk | http://www.ssdg.org.uk
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by SfCommandSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
thor
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:38 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ahh right now i get them lol Very Happy thanx Smile

Yeah i would say that would be a good idea Smile
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by thorSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 12:55 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Right now there are only three - I don't think that's enough to warrant a special page Wink

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next