4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Getting Your Site Noticed
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
billdavies
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:33 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has some original ways of getting your site noticed other than signing people's guestbooks and joining cliques?

Thanks
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:47 am (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Google has always been a great source of traffic for us Smile

But maybe you were asking for methods other than search engine placement?

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:34 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'v never really known how to get in a search engine really...! I have my meta tags in but always hear they're not very useful. Anyone got any tips with search engines too then?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by billdaviesSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:38 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

For Google, if nobody links to your site (in which case Google follows the links), then you have to go to http://www.google.com/webmasters/1.html to add your site to the database.

As to the meta tags, you're right. These days they're not much use anymore as many search engines ignore them (due to abuse in the past).

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 4:31 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

the best way to get listed well on Google (in my expericence) is, firstly, have good content that people will actually link to, make your page titles meaningfull ("my wonderful recepie" is not as good as "baking a cake", for example), and also make your HTML un-cluttered and tidy/valid.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:40 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Well that didn't take long...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=blog+of+a+blonde

I'm the 5th site down, just below this site lol. Not totally sure how that happened but I'm not complaining!

Bill
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:59 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

lmao, did you see what just beat this site?
http://www.google.com/search?q=adam+mcmaster I'm first for that Smile
http://www.google.com/search?q=prince+charles+allegations I'm also very proud of my ranking for that Very Happy

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:23 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

adam wrote:
lmao, did you see what just beat this site?

Yeah, I did. That site seems to pop up everywhere when I'm searching for my site or stuff to do with my site lol.
altyfc
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 11:13 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

In addition to the advice of "get links", I would say "get quality links". The more quality links you get (ie. from pages with a respectable Google PR), then the better you will rank within Google.

Also, go for relevant links. ie links from a sites with a similar subject area to your own.

Hope this helps

Aaron

vijayonline
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:51 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

good that link bill .... how u did it.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vijayonlineSend Personal MessageSend email
Melter
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2004 5:43 pm (20 years, 1 month ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

You could try running an adword campaign for a month or two. You only pay each time an ad is clicked so if your keywords are useful you're guaranteed targetted traffic and you can set a maximum amount you want to spend each month. Wink

OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by MelterSend Personal Message
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: