4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Freedom2Support Forums (vB Edition)
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:41 am (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

<troll>
You should upgrade to smf Wink
</troll>

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:29 am (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ben wrote:
<troll>
You should upgrade to smf Wink
</troll>

After buying a vB license I doubt that's a reasonable option. Wink

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 10:37 am (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

SfCommand wrote:
Doen't seem any slower for me in IE than in mozilla. (However in mozilla some of the 'Go To Last Post' images are not fully displayed. http://home.miguel.me.uk/f2s.png )

the images seem to work fine in firebird...

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:45 am (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It's probably just a peculiarity to my computer/mozilla install.
I had (have) one where I can see images hotlinked in tripod member space, but everyone else (including other computers on my network) see a Tripod logo! Daniel's possibly seen the thread on the 34SP forum Smile

http://community.34sp.com
http://www.miguel.me.uk | http://www.sfcommand.co.uk | http://www.ssdg.org.uk
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by SfCommandSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:50 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The Peformance in IE was shocking, it was taking at least 5 seconds to load a page on the new version, in firebird/mozilla it was lightning fast.

Funny thing is I can view all other vB3 forums in IE fine without any slowdown, just not my freedom2support version Sad
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:17 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

was taking about 2 seconds here.

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:51 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Was taking five here, whereas it was pretty much instant for vb 2.3.3, it may just be my IE that is totally **** (I wouldn't be suprised), only happened that way in IE though, I'm guessing my IE may be ****.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:06 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Does vb have proper tracking of threads you have read yet?

Suppose this is going off topic slightly...

Red and White Kop
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:10 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, I think it does (at least it works for me). Not sure if it does it during multiple sessions, but it does it during one session (like phpBB). Unfortunately it seems to have the same problem as IPB: it doesn't show a forum as read unless you go into the forum and it sees there are no unread posts in it.

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:37 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Theres nothing worse than boards that dont do it over multiple sessions, I tend to look at boards over lunch time in work and dont get enough time to read everything on large boards (wht etc) and theres nothing more annoying that it deciding everythings read 20 mins later.

Anyway will shut up since I have dragged this far enough off topic already.

Red and White Kop
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:44 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

There is a setting in the admin control panel I believe to select this in vB3.
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:20 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

There's also a setting for it in phpBB 2.2 (it stores read topics in the database).

Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 5:42 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

'Bout time Wink

Red and White Kop
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:35 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

But can you imagine the size the database is going to get on a big board. Rolling Eyes
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 6:41 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think its a small price to pay.

My board isnt exactly massive (Total Topics: 21113 Total Posts: 320734) but the space taken to log it server side is only 11mb, to me thats space well used.

If you have a massive massive board then you probably have plenty of space available anyway so it shouldnt be a big problem surely?

Red and White Kop
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next