4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Windows XP
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Poll :: XP Pro Or Home?

XP Pro
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
XP Home
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Both / Partiton
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 9

Zack
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:29 am (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I am thinking about upgrading to XP Pro but i am wondering if it is worth the money.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by ZackSend Personal Message
Justin
4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:43 am (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Pro is far better, and far more stable than home to be honest.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 10:51 am (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

where's the option for neither? Wink

just out of interest, what's different in pro compared with home?

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:29 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Home is more unstable, has less features, and less decent built in network support.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by JustinSend Personal MessageSend email
adam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:59 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I see...it's so like microsoft to make one product of a lower quality so they can charge more for the other one Rolling Eyes

Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 1:17 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Quote:

I see...it's so like microsoft to make one product of a lower quality so they can charge more for the other one
Thats been the scene since 1983 Laughing

GZip/ Page Compression Test
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:23 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just out of curiosity, what are you upgrading from?

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 1:51 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I will advice that you use atleast two OS.
I have Win98, WinXP Pro, RHL 8.0, QNX, BeOS on my desktop and Win98, Win XP, RHL 7.1 on my laptop.
Just incase any OS starts to misbehave I start the other one to continue my work and be able to check mails etc.

OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by jayantSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's WebsiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
adam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 4:54 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

wow...that's quite a collection you have there. if I had the disk space, I'd probably do the same - as it is, I spent a large amount of time getting the one OS I have working exactly as I need it, and learnt a lot about it in the process. It's truely amazing what you can learn when you don't have an automated installer Laughing

Getting kinda off topic, so I'm going to attempt to bring this somehow back to WinXP...as has been mentioned, using more than one OS on the same machine is a good idea, especially if you don't know which one you want. By the sounds of it, XP Home is just a mutilated version of Pro, so get Pro. At the same time, you should definately look at using Linux and/or one of the BSDs - you'd be surprised how pleasant they can be; especially after spending a few years getting annoyed by all of the problems microsoft are so famous for.

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 5:33 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I've got a Tri-Boot of 98/XP/RedHat all of which have been freshley installed within the last week, reason I'm using 98 is I need to run a few older apps that misbehave on XP, and there was no way ME was going on here!
jayant
Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 6:37 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

At a point I even had win 2k adv svr, was just trying it out. (also tried corel linux for 2 months)
having too many OS slows down the system specially the boot process.
only applications that a really need get installed on each os. like photoshop, word, dreamweaver are on all windows. but excel, games, powerpoint, etc, only one XP. similar case with linux.
my desktop has 80 gigs. but laptop has only 6.4 gigs
winxp, rhl eat nearly 3.5 gigs 0.5 gigs by win98, so leaves me with nearly 2 gigs. good enough to store a nice movie Wink, some songs, and the actual work(which takes less than 100mb)

Zack
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:27 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

i hav got windows ME on my computer and just another quick question.

does anyone know where i can download 95/98/NT on floppy because my laptop only has a floppy drive. (Its Quite Old.)
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by ZackSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 7:48 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

As far as I know, only operating systems released before Windows 95 fit on floppies, and you probably won't find them on the net (I have 3.1 on a PC, without the floppies, and have found nowhere to download additional files which have been deleted, corrupted, whatever).

However there are a number of floppy-based/lightweight Linux distributions out there, if you're interested.

4WebHelp Addict
4WebHelp Addict

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:00 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I did have a copy of 95 on floppies....not anymore though.
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 8:07 pm (20 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Just out of curiosity, on how many floppies was it? And was it the full version (everything that's on the CD) or a trimmed down version?

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to:   

Go to page 1, 2  Next