4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

phpBB problem
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Lioness
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:08 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi everyone. Smile

My second post on the site and I'm asking questions already. Rolling Eyes

I was rudely brushed off when asked for simple help and advice concerning mods just because my site was originally set up by someone other than myself(even though he has his own graphics and hosting business)on the phpbb forum.
Not only that,they said they will not offer support because the software my site uses is phpbb 2.0.3 so there are no mods avilable.

I'll try and make it to the point now Laughing Is there anywhere that offers mods for out of date phpBB software?
I really want to have a 'location' line added in as mine doesn't have it.

Cheers in advance. Smile
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by LionessSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:25 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The 'Location' field is part of vanilla phpBB, has it maybe been removed from the template?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Lioness
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:37 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Darren wrote:
The 'Location' field is part of vanilla phpBB, has it maybe been removed from the template?

Confused
I'm not sure,I don't know the whereabouts of the person who set up my site anymore so I
can't get in touch. Sad
I think maybe because I'm sure there is also something else missing as well. Confused

Is there anyway to rectify this without upgrading?

Thanks again! Smile
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by LionessSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 7:56 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

hi lioness, and welcome! Very Happy

I'm not entirely sure how to add a location line, as I'm not all that familiar with modifying phpBB.

To be honest, you should probably upgrade your installation even if there is a way to do what you need - the version you have is quite old, and I would bet there are more than a few security problems / bugs with it Wink If you need help upgrading, I'm sure the people here (especially Daniel) will be able to help you.

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 8:20 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

The reason why it's not there is that you appear not to be using the default theme. The author of your theme probably removed the Location field for some strange reason.

To add it in again:

Open http://www.rumongo.co.uk/forums/templates/Coldsteel/viewtopic_body.tpl.

Find
Code:
    <table border="1" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#000000" width="90%" cellpadding="2">
    <tr>
    <td width="100%">
    <span class="postdetails"> {postrow.POSTER_JOINED}<br />
        </td>
        </tr>
          </table>
<br />

After, add:
Code:
    <table border="1" style="border-collapse: collapse" bordercolor="#000000" width="90%" cellpadding="2">
    <tr>
    <td width="100%">
    <span class="postdetails"> {postrow.POSTER_FROM}<br />
        </td>
        </tr>
          </table>
<br />

That should do it Smile

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:06 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thankyou both Odhinn and Daniel I really want this even though it's minor-i've never touched any of the design before because knowing me i'd wreck it. Laughing
I'll have a go at that though-cheers Daniel. Smile

Odhinn-In a couple of months someone will be upgrading it for me,I didn't understand uploading the phpBB files the first time,let alone second so am glad I have been spared the total embarassment of doing it myself. Embarassed

[edit]
Thankyou Daniel,job done. Smile

[edit n02]
I was wondering,is there a way to add another line to the info?
I wanted to add something like:
Musical Preference:
Have wanted to do it for ages but was told you need a mod to do it. Rolling Eyes

Thankyou again guys-the help was much appreciated. Smile
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:49 am (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

That certainly won't be as simple Smile.

You'd have to apply this MOD to add the field to the profile:

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=193

And then this one to add it to the topic page:

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=1366

Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:18 am (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Or if you don't need the 'Interests' field you could utilise that for musical prefernce - just a quick change in the language file..
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:23 am (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yes, if you want to do that, just open /language/lang_english/lang_main.php and replace
Code:
$lang['Interests'] = 'Interests';
with
Code:
$lang['Interests'] = 'Musical Preference';

Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:29 am (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I guess they will need the extra code to display this under the Location, presumably this will need more than just a template change though?
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 8:37 am (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Ooh sorry. Forgot that "Interests" isn't displayed under "Location" Very Happy

The MOD I posted above will take care of that:

http://www.phpbbhacks.com/viewhack.php?id=1366

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 5:12 pm (20 years, 5 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Thankyou Darren and Daniel Very Happy Image
The help has been much appreciated Smile
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: