4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

CSS Problem in IE4
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
WackoJackoUK
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:16 pm (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi ppl

Wonder if any of you can help me out here.

I've created a page using CSS for my company Intranet and most things are fine but one style is giving me a headache and I'm not sure why.

I'm applying a border and background color to a table but it won't pick up the color or the border yet the text size and font are fine.

I'm wondering if it is a compatability issue as they work fine on IE5.5 but some users (quite a lot) are still on IE4.

Can anyone give me any suggestions please

Here's the code

.nav_menu
{font-family:verdana; color: #FFFFFF; font-size:10pt; font-weight:bold; background-color: #D69AA5; border: #2C4CDE; padding:1px}

.nav_bg
{font-family:verdana; color: #943C4A; font-size:10pt; font-weight:normal; background-color: #F7EFEF; border: #943C4A; border-style: solid; border-top-width: 2px; border-right-width: 2px; border-bottom-width: 2px; border-left-width: 2px; padding:5px}

WJUK

Shocked
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by WackoJackoUKSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:49 pm (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

CSS looks fine
Get them to upgrade IE, it probably is an incompatibility Confused

EDIT:
actually according to this 'border' is valid in IE4
http://www.corecss.com/properties/full-chart.php

EDIT2:
This may provide further insight:
http://www.corecss.com/properties/ie4.php
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
WackoJackoUK
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 3:30 pm (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Still can't get the bugger to work and there are quite a few hundred users on IE4.

Forgot to mention before that these are implemented within nested tables.

Would this make much of a difference?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by WackoJackoUKSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:05 am (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Unfortunately I don't have access to IE4 to give this a try.

I wouldn't have thought a nested table would cause a problem, easily checked though if you apply it to a single table and the CSS still doesn't work.

You can actually write your border style a little more efficiently, so you wouldn't need to use the other border attributes:
border:2px solid #943C4A;

and you never know it may even work on IE4
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
WackoJackoUK
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 11:10 am (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi Darren

Thanks for the tip for the abbreviated code, I'll use it straight away.

I sorted out the problem anyway by luck.

I was useing the class .nav_menu or .nav_bg - I noticed that another class worked so I removed the underscore and the bloody thing worked.

I hate IE4 !!!!

Twisted Evil

Cheers for your help anyway

WJUK
Very Happy
Darren
Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:13 pm (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Although according to this:
http://devedge.netscape.com/viewsource/2001/css-underscores/
IE4 allowed the use of underscores in class names.

Still, glad you got it sorted Very Happy
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: