4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Google ranking
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
vulcanpimp
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:28 pm (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I've got an open source director and flash scripting site. I get some hits but I was wondering if it's possible to boost my position in google.

What in terms of HTML can I use? Title, description and keywords. Which is the best way to tackle this?

At the moment if you type in flash photography photoshop and director I get number one position but that's not likely.

Is it all down to hits or is it links.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vulcanpimpSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2003 10:15 am (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I wouldn't bother with description and keywords, google ignores them. Google ranks pages based on the page title, the text content of the pages and which other sites link to the page. Make sure the page titles are short and to the point, don't use images to display large blocks of content (since google can't read images) and see if you can get other popular sites to link to you.

Team Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:28 am (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

//off topic
Odhinn wrote:
(since google can't read images)

You say that, but check this out:
http://catalog.google.com/

Its an archive of mailorder catalogues - scanned in, saved as JPEGs
Anyway try doing a search on one of them, apparently google uses some kind of on the fly OCR to search for and highlight your keywords.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by DarrenSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
adam

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:45 pm (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

yeah I've seen that before...but someone at google had to scan them in...right now google doesn't offer anything to search the text content of online images. (I think the selection on catalogs.google.com is all from one or two catalogs, as an example.)

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:10 pm (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It's not too hard to boost Google ranking with some patience and hard work. Concentrate on your page titles, internal link text (anchor text), <h1> tags (etc) for title, alt tags and title attributes - oh, and content, of course. Smile

Patience is seriously, required, though - especially since Google stopped making full monthly updates in April 2002, and is now updating PR and backlinks at very irregular intervals.

Do note that images, flash, javascript, etc, will not be read by Google, so don't use any of these on your site links.

OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by I, BrianSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
adam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:42 pm (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I wouldn't say it's all that hard...try searching for "linux jazpiper", I'm first without even trying...then there's always the amusing result when you search for "odhinn"

Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:08 pm (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Yeah Adam, but how likely is it that someone will search for those words? Wink Laughing

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:22 pm (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

well, a linux user with a jazpiper mp3 player (my target audience) is very likely to search for it

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:03 pm (20 years, 6 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

SEO is about targeting competitive words. Use Wordtracker to find how often your terms are sought out for on meta engines.

OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by I, BrianSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
vijayonline
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:48 pm (20 years, 2 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

try to put nice H1 tags on your main page. Try submitting your site often to google with help of web submision tools like web postioning gold. It helps ranking to much extent.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by vijayonlineSend Personal MessageSend email
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: