4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Problems with .htaccess
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
OgreINC
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 4:53 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I'm trying to set up passwords and i did the tutorial, but for some reason it isn't accepting the password that i gave it.

computer: WinXP (Apache v2.0)

Name: fred
password: fred

.htaccess
AuthName "Realm Name"
AuthType Basic
AuthUserFile /.htpasswd
Allow From All
<Files **************.html>
require user fred
</Files>

.htpasswd
fred:24bsAXsTHvI3E
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by OgreINCSend Personal MessageAOL Instant Messenger
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 8:18 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

your setting for AuthUserFile is almost certainly wrong...you need to give it the path on the server (not the path as shown in your FTP account). if you're on a cpanel host, it'll be /home/user/.htpasswd...I dunno about other servers Smile you can also specify the path relative to the .htaccess file...so for example it could be ../.htpasswd

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 1:59 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

i'm running at test server off of my computer (using the Apache tutorial), but more importantly .htaccess and .htpasswd are in the same folder, so i'm pretty sure i've got the coding right there. Any other ideas on what it might be?
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by OgreINCSend Personal MessageAOL Instant Messenger
Ben
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 2:49 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

How did you generate the .htpasswd file? Windows apache doesnt use the same flavour of encryption as the *nix ver.

Red and White Kop
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by BenSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
adam
Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 7:39 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

if they're in the same directory, it should be "AuthUserFile .htpasswd" (note the absence of a slash).

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:15 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

didn't work even without the slash.

I used the generator on this site, do i need a diffrent one?
OgreINC
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 3:06 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I figured out how to use htpasswd.exe, but that didn't help at all
all of the .htpasswd files i generated didn't fix the problem

i tried all of the fallowing encryptions: MD5, CRYPT and SHA
hell i even tryed plain text with no luck.

i'm thinking the problem is probably with my .htaccess rather than .htpasswd
OgreINC
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 2:42 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

by now i've figured it out on my own. But for anyone with a similar problem:

You're AuthUserFile
must start from your server's base directory, including the base directory itself (the part i was missing)

so if htdocs is your base directory then it should look like this:

AuthUserFile /htdocs/.htpasswd
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 7:24 pm (20 years, 7 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Must be specific to your host as that's not usually the case (unless I'm going crazy, which wouldn't be surprising given how tired I am Very Happy)...

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:19 pm (20 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hi all,

I am going out of my mind trying to get a .htaccess file working

1) can you use ../../ when specifying the authuserfile?

2) how do you find out your exact server path to use after the authuserfile? I am with Easily.co.uk

3) could someone attach an actual file so I can see the exact spacing and carriage returns (I think I read somewhere that it all has to be on one line)

4) I read in windows xp help file, that when using xp for ftp it defaults to ASCii. Is this true?

5) I have downloaded Apachie but am not sure how to enter the commands to generate the password files. Is there a step by step guide for wooden heads like myself?

6) Can I use the various password / username generators on the web as aposed to Apachie for Easly.co.uk?

Hope you can help,

Thanks in advance,

Dom..........
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by domukSend Personal Message
Marinamus
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:51 am (9 years, 4 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Cool - I will try to post something for you later tonight, including a few links I have found helpful concerning Apache Rewrites, Redirects and .htaccess.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by MarinamusSend Personal MessageSend emailICQ Number
lucygp
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 7:30 am (9 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

how to enter the commands to generate the password files.

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:07 am (9 years, 3 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Hello there! I happened to see you write something, and it helps me a lot, thank you very much! You are also welcome to visit my page! Haha!

OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by xiangti08Send Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: