4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

Helpful Comments Appreciated
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
Ayyla
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:31 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

http://www.vividsun.com

I'd appreciate some comments on the overall appearance of the site and anything that might help to make it better. Thank you.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by AyylaSend Personal Message
Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 6:37 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

• Why the need for the redundant FAQ link at the top of each page?
  • What's with the links page? The background colour is black instead of white Smile. [Actually, same for other pages. Keep it consistant! Wink]
  • Your portfolio could use some work - it's one of the most important pages. Give a description of the site/work

Hope that helps Smile

Forum Moderator & Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 10:05 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

why am I always the one to mention this? validate your HTML Smile

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:04 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

alright, I tried to do the validation for my html, but it responded with "You should place a DOCTYPE declaration as the very first thing in your HTML document" ... so it made me wonder... What is a doctype, how do you write it, and what is it for? Question

Very Happy any answers Odhinn?
SfCommand
Senior WebHelper
Senior WebHelper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:25 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

It depends on if you want to make it HTML 4, or XHTML?
For XHTML 1.0 Transitional (which is what I use), the DocType is
w3.org wrote:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

EDIt
Oooops Embarassed Thats what comes of taking stuff straight out of my echo, and doing it late at night Smile I knew I should've opened up one of my other sites to get the doctype Smile

http://community.34sp.com
http://www.miguel.me.uk | http://www.sfcommand.co.uk | http://www.ssdg.org.uk

Last edited by SfCommand on Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by SfCommandSend Personal MessageVisit Poster's Website
adam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 11:45 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

the doctype tells the browser what version of html (or xhtml, xml, or whatever) you're using. it's quite important Smile

btw, I'm proud to say that from now on I'll be using only XHTML 1.1 Strict Smile

Team Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:40 am (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

SfCommand, where did all the backslashes come from? Surprised

Edit your post please Wink

Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:55 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

could anyone give a few examples of why they choose certain doctypes, like personal preferences? Also, if you choose to do html 4.0, for example, will you have to update your code if they go to 5.0 or something like that?

I see the advantages to using doctype, but I'd also like to know if it's just going to be more work in the future?

Last edited by Ayyla on Thu Jul 03, 2003 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total
adam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 9:21 pm (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

no, if you use html 4.0 you can always use it even if they come up with a newer version (I believe there is one newer than 4.0, actually...anyone?)...in fact it can make things better in that instance, as specifying a doctype ensures that the browser will treat your code in the way you intended...without it, a future browser could treat your html 4.0 page as html 5.0 with unexpected results, simply because it doesn't know what it should be.

I personally use XHTML 1.1 Strict because it ensures that all the page content and all the page formatting are kept separate. This not only makes the code simpler, and so easier to process, but it also makes it more accessable to different browsers / platforms. With XHTML, formatting is specified using CSS, instead of using HTML tags (such as <font>). This means that browsers that cannot use formatting (for example text-only browsers, cell phones, pdas, etc) can just ignore it - they can simply process the data and display it however they want.

Team Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:53 am (20 years, 9 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

HTML 4.01 is actually the latest revision Wink

View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: