4WebHelp
 FAQ  •  Search  •  User Groups  •  Forum Admins  •  Smilies List  •  Statistics  •  Rules   •  Login   •  Register
Toggle Navigation Menu

How to create file attachments in a form
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic
ardeecee
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 12:53 am (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Confused Obviously I am a complete novice. I have an "application" form on my Frontpage 2000 built site and want users to attach their cv's but can't for the life of me work out how to create the appropriate box that will allow users to browse their pc and attach their file prior to submitting. Thanks for your understanding.
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by ardeeceeSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
drathbun
WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:23 am (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

I think you need to use the "file" type of input, as in:
Code:
<input type="file" name="uploaded_item" size="60" maxlength="256">

That includes the Browse button as well. What you need to do is code your forum to receive the uploaded file and put it in the proper location.

Dave

Daniel
Team Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 7:28 am (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Dave, who is talking about forums? Wink

However, you do raise a point: you can't just include the client-side code to get it to work, you'll have to make sure FrontPage's script takes care of file uploads.

WebHelper
WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:00 am (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Daniel wrote:
Dave, who is talking about forums? Wink

Confused Sorry, got forums on the brain.

One popular method for "receiving" the uploaded process is to use perl, and include the cgi-lib module. It includes the code to do the grunt work of accepting the input stream from the browser, and converting it back into a file on the server. What you do with the file after that is up to you.

Here's some info on the perl module:

http://cgi-lib.berkeley.edu/

You may find that your host already has this module installed, it seems to be fairly common.

Dave

ardeecee
Junior WebHelper
Junior WebHelper

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2003 8:33 am (20 years, 10 months ago) Reply with QuoteBack to Top

Very Happy Thanks all, that's great - it is a little out my depth but I am prepared to give it a go. Thanks again
OfflineView User's ProfileFind all posts by ardeeceeSend Personal MessageSend emailVisit Poster's Website
View Previous Topic Print this topic View Next Topic

Jump to: